Hello From Louisiana

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewebb10

Reaction score
New guy here from Louisiana. I discovered this forum a week or two ago and I've already bought a Toyama gyuto and a Gesshin paring knife. After prepping for a red sauce with the Toyama Saturday all I can say is I'm hooked! I have a set of Henckel pro S that until last week thought were the bees knees, boy was I wrong. Anyway looking forward to learning and feeding my new addiction.
Thanks guys and gals.
Connor

Also this is what I have to sharpen pocket knives and the old set of kitchen knives. Would it be compete sacrilege to use this on a Japanese knife?

http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Mode...Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-Sharpening-System-p7.html

I used an Edgepro for several months. It'll certainly put a great edge on a knife. With Japanese knives, the main problem is that unless you are very careful (including adjusting angle on each side of the blade), you will gradually change the thd geometry of the knife and it will steer or wedge. If you understand sharpening with Edgepro, it's not such a big leap to learn freehanding. Jon at JKI (I assume that's where you got the Gesshin?) has some fantastic videos on freehand sharpening on his website and his youtube channel. I don't have any, but his Gessin stones seem to be highly regarded too.

The next thing I buy is going to be stones. I've been watching videos and reading, I just can't decide where to start.

I used an Edgepro for several months. It'll certainly put a great edge on a knife. With Japanese knives, the main problem is that unless you are very careful (including adjusting angle on each side of the blade), you will gradually change the thd geometry of the knife and it will steer or wedge. If you understand sharpening with Edgepro, it's not such a big leap to learn freehanding. Jon at JKI (I assume that's where you got the Gesshin?) has some fantastic videos on freehand sharpening on his website and his youtube channel. I don't have any, but his Gessin stones seem to be highly regarded too.

Probably also worth looking at Naniwa stones (I got mine at K&S ) and JNS stones. Some people also like their King stones.

The next thing I buy is going to be stones. I've been watching videos and reading, I just can't decide where to start.

Start a thread in "shaprpening station" along the lines of "New to sharpening, need stones". From memory, there is a stones questionnaire somewhere.

I'm no expert, but a reasonable starting point would be a 1k and a 3-5k stone with some sort of flattening device.

New guy here from Louisiana. I discovered this forum a week or two ago and I've already bought a Toyama gyuto and a Gesshin paring knife. After prepping for a red sauce with the Toyama Saturday all I can say is I'm hooked! I have a set of Henckel pro S that until last week thought were the bees knees, boy was I wrong. Anyway looking forward to learning and feeding my new addiction.
Thanks guys and gals.
Connor
Greetings! I love seeing fellow louisianians represented here! Where are you located?

Back