Quantcast

Hello from Maine

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Hello all from Maine ! I am an amature foodie and knife lover who has been drawn to the lure of good quality cutlery ! so far in my meager collection I have a set of victronox god handled knives 1 boker damascus sontuku and 2 al mar damascus knives a sontuku and guyoto . Hope to learn much from my fellow foodies .
Moses in Maine.

ps can any one recommend the best knife to cut basturma ???? lol!!

mr drinky

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, and I'll bite. What's basturma?

k.

SpikeC

Reaction score
Welcome to the Knut House!
Use a Rader scimitar.

Crothcipt

Reaction score
Welcome. From what I got off of google search is a pastrami.

Reaction score
Welcome. From what I got off of google search is a pastrami.

thanks for the greetings kind sir but thems fighting words!!!

basturma is the grand daddy of cured meats and a true Armenian dish . basically. take a tenderloin of beef soak it in a mixture called. chama. paprika chili powder cumin and some other stuff after the soak wrap in cheese cloth and hang dried for about 6 months . It tends to be an acquired taste most either love or hate it . Myself I can live of the stuff !!!!

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
:ntmy:

Best thing to cut Pastirma with? Well, a slicer of course is the appropriate tool. Which slicer is best? Oh, I'd say one of these four:

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds more akin to a bresaola than a pastrami. Sujihiki should work just fine if you don't happen to have a Rader scimitar handy!

Welcome aboard!

Crothcipt

Reaction score
My bad I should have said a type of pastrami. I didn't do much reading just what the search brought up. I just read Basturma, a recipe for Lebanese Armenian pastrami.

Reaction score
Mr burke those knives look so beautiful I dare not ask there price for fear of stopping my heart from severe price shock !!!
Are those knives of your own making. ? I see you spelled basturma with a P most don't that's more the Turkish or eastern Armenian way of spelling it . I have a great. Turkish restaurant here in Maine I go to all the time real home made anatolian food just like my great grandmother would make. They cure there own basturma to and it is. wonderful !!!