Hello from New Zealand!

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by _HH_, Feb 26, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 26, 2019 #1

_HH_

_HH_

_HH_

Hey guys (and gals),
    Just joined the forum after buying a cheap stone on a whim six months or so ago. I currently have a Wusthof chef’s knife and a Victorinox fibrox paring knife, but long to get into the ‘good stuff’. I’m considering my first Japanese knife purchase and am more confused now than when’s a I started looking!

I have a cheap combi stone, unnamed and rated at 1000/3000 with which I have gradually learned to get my Wusthof hair-poppingly sharp over the last six months or so. I have ordered a cerax 1000 and Suehiro Rika 5000 stones and look forward to getting to grips with a real knife once I can make up my mind what to order.

Options for vendors are quite limited in NZ, there being two decent online stores:

www.artisanknives.co.nz
    www.prochef.co.nz

The import duty on bringing knives into the country combined with shipping from other more-commonly recommended stores online such as JKI, K&S etc makes these options untenable unfortunately.

Anyway, enough rambling, looking forward to getting to know everyone!
    Henry

2. Feb 27, 2019 #2
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Feb 27, 2019 #3

_HH_

_HH_

_HH_

Thanks Dave!

4. Feb 27, 2019 #4

Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike

Hi, welcome from California USA!

5. Feb 27, 2019 #5

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

welcome!

6. Feb 27, 2019 #6

Alwayzbakin

Alwayzbakin

Alwayzbakin

Hi there,
    I’m also relatively new to the forum and have only slightly begun upgrading my knives and stones. I am in Auckland. Honestly the only time I had to pay a significant import tax was on a Knife that cost 350ishUSD. I have gotten a few stones (synthetic and small naturals) and a knife around the $200usd range with no import tax (honestly I don’t even know what the cutoff is). Some suppliers have very cheap worldwide shipping and there are other semi nearby options in Oz. I’ve scanned those domestic sites and there some things to be found that would probably be fun (I was interested in some shibatas and takamuras they listed but I didn’t bite). There’s definitely a lot to consider in choosing upgrades but i wouldn’t shy away from options for an extra $30 shipping that’s like the price of a pizza for a knife that will last you decades: it’ll be worth it I promise

7. Feb 27, 2019 #7
    Welcome Alwayzbakin! Seems like you might be looking to get some more knives :) The best way to go about that is to browse around here and use the Questionnaire in The Kitchen Knife forum to make it easier for us to help you.

8. Feb 27, 2019 #8

_HH_

_HH_

_HH_

Ah that’s great to know - thanks! I was put off after adding a couple of Masakage knives to my basket at one retailer, only to find out shipping was quoted at over $180! I’ll look into the options from K&S again, are there any other retailers you’d recommend or had a good experience with?
    Thanks again for your help!
    Henry

9. Feb 27, 2019 #9

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

Welcome to the forums Henry

10. Feb 27, 2019 #10

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

What he said mate.

And welcome. I am in Auckland if you wanna have a yarn and perhaps try a knife or two. NZD$400 incl shopping costs is your import duty cutoff. So aim to spend about $320 before shipping to be safe. It’s not often I get pinged though.

11. Feb 27, 2019 #11

_HH_

_HH_

_HH_

Thanks Badger - very helpful info!