Hello from NH

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekim317

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just an avid home cook here who stumbled upon the great world of knives a little over a year ago. Looking to learn more about knives and grow my collection.

Thanks.

Years ago, my wife got me a Cut Brooklyn 52100 Journeyman 240 chef knife because I'm a big fan of Alton Brown, who had nothing but great things to say about these knives. It was a real upgrade from my Henckels Pro S set I bought myself when I graduated college.

Fast forward to the beginning of last year, I dropped my Henckels chef knife and it snapped right at the bolster. So I decided to look for a replacement and kinda fell down the Japanese knives rabbit hole.

My first purchase was a Kato vg10 nashiji 165 bunka. Great little knife that I reach for a lot when cooking just for it's convenience.

Then, shortly after, I picked up a Shibata AS 210 gyuto and an Anryu B2 240 gyuto. Both amazing knives that basically need no introduction.

I also bought a Shinko Seilan AS 180 Nakiri, a Saji B2 rainbow damascus 165 santoku, and a Makoto Kurosaki SG2 Sakura 135 petty along the way.

I could be happy with my little collection but I just can't help myself from scrolling through reviews and searching through online store inventories to see what I might by next.

I'm really leaning towards a Yoshikane SKD gyuto for my next purchase. Feel free to try and talk me out if it, to help out my wallet.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome.

Thanks.

Years ago, my wife got me a Cut Brooklyn 52100 Journeyman 240 chef knife because I'm a big fan of Alton Brown, who had nothing but great things to say about these knives. It was a real upgrade from my Henckels Pro S set I bought myself when I graduated college.

Fast forward to the beginning of last year, I dropped my Henckels chef knife and it snapped right at the bolster. So I decided to look for a replacement and kinda fell down the Japanese knives rabbit hole.

My first purchase was a Kato vg10 nashiji 165 bunka. Great little knife that I reach for a lot when cooking just for it's convenience.

Then, shortly after, I picked up a Shibata AS 210 gyuto and an Anryu B2 240 gyuto. Both amazing knives that basically need no introduction.

I also bought a Shinko Seilan AS 180 Nakiri, a Saji B2 rainbow damascus 165 santoku, and a Makoto Kurosaki SG2 Sakura 135 petty along the way.

I could be happy with my little collection but I just can't help myself from scrolling through reviews and searching through online store inventories to see what I might by next.

I'm really leaning towards a Yoshikane SKD gyuto for my next purchase. Feel free to try and talk me out if it, to help out my wallet.

It looks like you have made a good start to collection.

If you want someone to talk you out of buying an excellent knife such as the Yoshi SKD, I'm afraid you have come to the wrong place 😁

Which one in particular are you looking at? The Nashiji ones are very thin knives while the Tsuchime ones seem to vary in thickness a bit. Mine is a great workhorse grind (don't underestimate the benefits of a great workhorse grind) but many describe having a much thinner ground Tsuchime knife.

Hmm. Didn't even realize there was a tsuchime version in SKD. All the sites I've looked at have tsuchime in White #2 but not in SKD. So by default, I was looking into getting the nashiji 😆. Where did you get your tsuchime SKD? Or do you know of a site that currently lists that option? Thanks

Thanks.

Welcome. How about sharpening? :)

Welcome. How about sharpening? :)

Thanks.
I started with a king 1000/6000 combo stone with an atoma 400 diamond plate. But recently the stone fell out of a bag and chipped the corner of one side. So I took the opportunity to upgrade a bit and got a shapton glass 500, 1k, and 4k when mtc kitchen was having a sale. I really liked the idea of splash and go.

I also have a couple strops I made using some scrap hardwood and leather I had lying around.

Hmm. Didn't even realize there was a tsuchime version in SKD. All the sites I've looked at have tsuchime in White #2 but not in SKD. So by default, I was looking into getting the nashiji 😆. Where did you get your tsuchime SKD? Or do you know of a site that currently lists that option? Thanks
I got mine from the now closed japanesechef.com (not to be confused with japanesechefsknife.com).

I believe that Epicurean Edge used to sell them. Maybe still does? I think I recall someone saying that the EE ones were on the thinner side? Better check before buying.

I have a Nashiji in white2 which is a different and much thinner knife. I think that the Nashiji SKD is similar in profile and grind.

Back