Hello from NJ USA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a home cook who has recently gotten really interested in the science of sharpening.

I have had a Konosuke HD2 240 gyuto for about 4 or 5 years now and just recently added a Gesshin Uraku santoku and a Wakui 210 gyuto that is currently lost somewhere on its way to me.

I have been lurking for a while and I figured it was time to post here to be able to ask some questions around the sharpening board.

I have really grown to love the little Uraku. Thankfully the Wakui came in finally! Not that I mind, as I like to sharpen a new knife, but the out of the box edge was pretty lackluster. The FF and grind were all very nice.

Hi! Have you found any solid kitchen knife shops in NJ or NY? I'm also new to collecting knives and in the area, but having difficulty finding a place to see them in person (especially from Japanese makers).

Hi! Have you found any solid kitchen knife shops in NJ or NY? I'm also new to collecting knives and in the area, but having difficulty finding a place to see them in person (especially from Japanese makers).

In NYC we have MTC, Korin, Yanagi Knife, and some other stores like JB Prince and all the suppliers on the Bowery.

In NYC we have MTC, Korin, Yanagi Knife, and some other stores like JB Prince and all the suppliers on the Bowery.

I’ve been to those shops and mostly seen the factory-made knives a lot of professional cooks prefer (Misono, MAC, etc) but few of the handmade brands discussed on the forums here. On YouTube I’ve see specialty stores like Knifewear and Sharp with walls of knives (🤩), but haven’t found that type of place in/near NYC.

I’ve been to those shops and mostly seen the factory-made knives a lot of professional cooks prefer (Misono, MAC, etc) but few of the handmade brands discussed on the forums here. On YouTube I’ve see specialty stores like Knifewear and Sharp with walls of knives (🤩), but haven’t found that type of place in/near NYC.

Sadly, it's because there isn't one. MTC has been expanding their inventory for sure, they had a few Wats and some Dois and some other stuff last time I was in, but it certainly isn't like walking into one of the specialty shops.

Back