Hello from Philadelphia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undergrounder996

Reaction score
Hi,
Joining to gain some knowledge about knife handle making. I also have a few old knives I'd like to get some history/advice on. I've made a few knives with locally-harvested wood for scales. (Purchased the knife blanks online). Cheers.

Thanks, I'm actually from just south of the city, in Delaware Co. Not sure what ECG is?
Here's a pairing knife handle I'm working on. Maple inlaid with walnut. The maple is from my backyard. I'm still working on the finish, so it's not quite done.

Pairing Knife Maple Walnut.JPG

In brief, "ECG" refers to an annual (sort of) East Coast Gathering of knife collectors, makers, etc. (you can search on KKF and get a better idea) that a generous KKF member has hosted for the last few years at his Alexandria, VA home.

Good luck with paring knife handle; starting to look good (and I'm impressed that you're using maple from your backyard; wonder about "curing").

...Good luck with paring knife handle; starting to look good (and I'm impressed that you're using maple from your backyard; wonder about "curing").
Thanks. The maple has been air drying in my house for at least 5 years, and I've done lots of other things with it (picture frames, bowls), so I'm hopeful there won't be any issues. I like using lumber with a history.

Welcome my Philly brother! We represent strongly on the forum, as you have already likely noted. I am from Montco but work in Chesco, and I am also an amateur handle (and saya) maker. Feel free to hit me up if you want to talk handle craft at any point.

Latest posts

Back