Hello from Portugal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuisMendes

Reaction score
Hi there guys !! I'm a brazilian home cook, born in São Paulo, that lives in Oporto, Portugal. My knifes are:

- Lots of portuguese knifes (IVO and ICEL). Nice knives, most with german like profile but for 1/5 the price. I really recommend them.
- K Sabatier 9" carbon chef knife
- Masakage Yuki Nakiri
- Masakage Shimo Gyuto

Unfortunately, Japanese knives are not easy to find in Europe, and buying from US sites would have really high taxes.

Bom Dia Luis!
Would love to see some pictures of your knives, especially the Portuguese made ones.

Sure knyfeknerd, those are the portuguese

XSCRuPK.jpg

From top to bottom:

ICEL Platina series 20cm chef knife
IVO Asian style knife, it's supposed to be a guyto.. but you can think of it as an oversized Deba (single bevel, and thick)
IVO Paring knife
IVO bread knife

Mucho Bocho, Bill. Thanks!! I'll have some Madeira for us!! It's been a long time since I had a good Madeira wine.. Just some cheaper for cooking.

Marcelo, I was looking at the links you sent me, I'm thinking about buying the Itinomonn 210 stainless gyuto from JNS store. For those situations when you don't want to be so attentious to your knife and clean it every minute (churrasco!!!). But not this month, because the budget is already closed ;). I'm looking at the alternatives and so far the Itinommon looks great for that use

Yay !! I heard a LOT about the Zakharov knives back when I was young !! Not for the kitchen, but for camping, although I never really saw one, how do they perform?? By looking at the site they look heavy and for brute force work :viking: ! The Itinomonn has a profile I like, and the fit and finish on the site looks very good, how's the sharpening OOTB ?? Another option I was thinking at before looking at the JNS site was the Masakage Koishi (carbon core with stainless cladding), way stronger than the shimo (not a laser knife), and HRC at 63:64 :knight: ... but probably I'll give the Itinomonn a try ...

Luís, i think Zakharov kitchen knives are great cost/benefit churrasco pieces. I don't know the guy, never met him in person, but he is very known in Brazil by the knife afficionados, specially the outdoors people. His churrasco knives are heavier than Itinomonn's (for the same size) and the edge stronger and less refined, but surprisingly good. You can easily cut paper or a tomato with it. At least my carbon version does. Never tried his deba or yanagiba though, but for cutting churrasco from the pike (espeto) it will perform smoothly.
May i make a suggestion? Before you buy another knife, open a thread asking people here at KKF. Tell them you already have both Masakages etc. I think you won't regret doing this.
And Welcome to KKF!

Back