Hello from Quebec, Canada

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotterMcMuck

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started down the path of kitchen knives. I've always liked cooking but until recently I never really paid much attention to the tools I was using. I'm a straight razor guy, and have been into sharpening those for a few years now, so I had the whetstones already. Then I started sharpening our kitchen knives more frequently, and in learning to do so I got totally hooked and am now obsessed with keeping everything super sharp. I just bought my first high-end Japanese knife (a nakiri style in blue #2 carbon steel - amazing!), and it's a joy to use. I already have my next knife picked out, but it will need to wait a little while until I have the money to spend.

I'm also very curious about the knife-making process, especially the Japanese style. Eventually, I'd like to learn how to do this myself, but that will necessarily be a few years down the road.

I'm looking forward to learning lots more about kitchen knives!!

Joel

Welcome to the forums Joel.

Which nakiri did you buy?

Which is the next knife you have decided on. Do we get to help you choose?

Which stones do you use for razors? I ssuspect that you will find that kitchen knifes need lower grits and are uch more tolerant of high gaps between grits than razors are.

Welcome to the forums Joel.

Which nakiri did you buy?

Which is the next knife you have decided on. Do we get to help you choose?

Which stones do you use for razors? I ssuspect that you will find that kitchen knifes need lower grits and are uch more tolerant of high gaps between grits than razors are.

Here's a photo of what I bought. It was labelled as a NOS Suisin, although I have no way to prove or disprove this. It was super easy to put a laser edge on it, though, and it's a joy to use!

I've decided I want a carbon steel Santuko next, since I have a decent chef's knife and utility knife, and I find the 8" chef knife to be just a touch too long. I love the length of the nakiri, but would appreciate something similar in size but with a bit of a point on it, hence the santoku. Carbon steel just takes such an amazing edge (generally), I really prefer it to stainless in most situations.

I use mostly Naniwa stones for my razors (1k, 3k, 8k & 12k), and recently bought a 400 grit Naniwa for razor restoration work and for knives. For natural finishers, I have a couple of coticules, a couple of thuringians, a couple of Arkansas stones, and a Jnat (labelled as a Nakayama Tomae, but I doubt that this is true - it doesn't really matter because it's a good stone).

For the past few years I was using a King 1000 grit stone for kitchen knives, usually never really going beyond that grit level. I switched to the Naniwas a couple of weeks ago and prefer them, so I'll probably gift the King stone to a family member. The King is a decent stone, but I really like (and am used to) the feel, speed and feedback of the Naniwas.

Last night I tried finishing a kitchen knife on a natural for the first time, just to see what it was like. I finished my Zwilling and an Opinel (both chef knives) on a coticule. The stone was a touch small for the long blades, and I've only tried out the Opinel so far, so I can't give a solid opinion of the edge coticule edge yet. But it was fun!

Attachments

• nakiri.jpg
    nakiri.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2
Yup, full sized. Are tyey Choser/ Pros or superstones or some other line?

Most are superstones (but the thick versions), except the 1k which is a Pro/Chosera.

Before purchasing I like to do lots of research. The only real complaint people had about the Superstones is that the 10mm ones would sometimes warp (older versions crazed, but I didn't think I needed to worry much about that since the problem seems to have been fixed). The 20mm versions were just a few bucks more so it seemed to be the best value. I've never regretted the decision! And I'm happy that they are now also getting use with my kitchen knives.

Some people report cracking on Choseras. Apart from this they are excellent stones.

I have sealed mine and never had any cracking issues. Not sure if these two facts are related.

Last edited:
Back