Hello from San Francisco!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gertie

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster! I'm a home cook in training, and newfound admirer of Japanese knives. I'm just hoping to learn more and hopefully figure out how to hand sharpen my knives!

Welcome.

Good for you wanting to learn sharpening! You can do it and the folks here can help. I personally recommend prioritizing sharpening over expensive knives when starting out.

r/chefsknives discord is hosting a live sharpening demonstration with Q&A on Sunday if you want to join in. If you are more of a hands on learner Bernal Cutlery regularly hosts sharpening classes that you could take.

Have you had a chance to visit Bernal Cutlery and Hida Tools yet?

Thanks ya'll!
@HumbleHomeCook That's my plan! Though pushing my knife budget to get a more expensive knife is very tempting, trying to resist the urge!
@ThirdJewel Thanks for the heads up, I will try to tune in to that Q&A on Sunday! I went to Bernal last week to pick up a 1000 grit whetstone. It's maybe my new favorite place haha, their grocery section is also amazing! I wish I would have know about Hida Tools a couple months ago, I just moved to SF from Berkeley. I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm in the east bay!

Latest posts

Back