Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by ddw12, Feb 10, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 10, 2019 #1

ddw12

ddw12

ddw12

Hi all,

I have been collecting field use and folder knives for years, but recently decided I should start using nicer kitchen knives. So, I am trying to learn about and experiment with a few makers with focus toward Japanese styled blades.
    I am not a chef, but just a home cook with appreciation for nice knives.

I have been reading many posts, but much to learn still.

Thanks for many of your efforts. The posts can be very informative.

2. Feb 10, 2019 #2
    Welcome to the forum and should be able to PM shortly. Select start a conversation under the user's profile page

3. Feb 10, 2019 #3

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

Welcome! Take your time but jumping it is fine and there is always B/S/T … but better to spend a little bit of effort, in research, this will save you quite a bit of wasted time. Some of that can be unavoidable as getting to touch/feel a blade is typically more fundamental.

Do you sharpen yourself? That (IMO) is where this forum excel's and more time can be spent getting more out of what you may already know/own …

Stay awhile have fun!

TjA

4. Feb 10, 2019 #4

ddw12

ddw12

ddw12

Hi TjA,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been trying to research, but the amount of information and time required to go through so much information can be overwhelming.
    Not to mention expensive hobby to justify since not a chef.

I have purchased a few Japanese knives over the last year + and getting a feel for some things I like, but I have a long ways to go.

I do sharpen and I can get what seems like pretty sharp edges, but takes a lot of time. I can't seem to quite get to this sharp yet:

5. Feb 10, 2019 #5

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

MontezumaBoy

All of this takes "time" which really means practice, a bit of patience and understanding (for you) what 'sharp' is …

Took me years and years to figure out for myself what 'sharp' for me was … just my $0.02 … lots and lost of testing / etc. but ultimately it came down to more of a bit of 'feel' and then you move onto other more subjective thoughts on edge duration and food release / etc. …

At the end of the day that is the fun of it … progression / modification of expectation / change / alteration / etc. on and on …

All good fun …

TjA

6. Feb 10, 2019 #6

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

welcome!

7. Feb 11, 2019 #7

foody518

foody518

foody518

Supporting Member