Hello from the Bluegrass State

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by MikeN502, Aug 15, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2019 #1

MikeN502

MikeN502

MikeN502

Supporting Member

Hello all!

30 years in foodservice, exec chef from Louisville, KY here. When I was coming up it was Wüsthof or Henckels (Wüsthof), Sabatier if you wanted high carbon, and if you wanted a decent Chinese style cleaver you could get ones made by Dexter or no-name brands from the Asian markets. Then sometime around the mid 90’s Global came on the scene. Bought a few but wound up sticking with my trusty ole Wüsthof Classic series. Then Shun came around, got a parer...and went back to my Wüsthofs.

A couple years ago I picked up my first Gyuto without anything in the way of guidance. Recently I’ve dipped my toe in the reactive carbon steel pond. I’ll admit that I fall victim to “ooooooh pretty!” and that has resulted in a few purchases... I’ve always done most of my own sharpening but still consider myself a student. I’m happy to be circling the rabbit hole and looking forward to learning more.

-Mike

Carl Kotte likes this.
  2. Aug 15, 2019 #2
    Hi Mike, welcome to the forums. Yes, this stuff is addictive :)

3. Aug 15, 2019 #3

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Welcome aboard!

4. Aug 16, 2019 #4

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

Welcome.

There are a couple chefs around here who have gone to Louisville and helped out during the derby rush, but I don't think I have seen any members indicating they live there.

5. Aug 16, 2019 #5

MikeN502

MikeN502

MikeN502

Supporting Member

I've been out of the restaurant side of the business for a while now. My first Derby off I think I sat on my couch in sort of a state of shock. I didn't know what to do with myself. :D