Hello from the South West of Norway

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPO

Reaction score
Hello.
My primary interest is in straight razors, utility knifes, tools and natural sharpening stones.
I am getting more into kitchen knifes, but so far my main interest is in sharpening knifes and particularly razors. I am the only knife nerd in the house. I do not have my own section for dads knifes, so most of my kitchen knifes are made of typical softer stainless steel, but I like to keep them in good shape.
I have a weak spot for JNAT's and Coticules. I am afraid to get get pulled down a new rabbit hole, which is Japanese kitchen knifes.
It just does not feel right to sharpen German knifes on JNAT's:)

Welcome to the light side ;). We need some more coticule chat here!

Welcome to the light side ;). We need some more coticule chat here!
I have 5 coticules, all from different veins, so my sample size is not that big. It seems like they get overlooked at knife forums. Maybe it is because it is almost impossible to create a burr with these stones. Knife people like that burr you know:)

I have 5 coticules, all from different veins, so my sample size is not that big. It seems like they get overlooked at knife forums. Maybe it is because it is almost impossible to create a burr with these stones. Knife people like that burr you know:)

I have about the same no. (and have had a couple of others in the past), though mine have all been old stones found on the cheap, so I don't know the layers of any of them unfortunately.

Apart from a couple of very fine and slow ones, I've found I've been able to raise fine burrs quite easily. Though I largely sharpen Japanese knives, I can imagine it may not be so easy on German knives with tougher, softer steels and thicker grinds. With slurry on Japanese knives they can produce extraordinary edges - very fine, but with masses of bite left. That they don't get talked about more here is an enduring mystery!

Last edited:
I have about the same no. (and have had a couple of others in the past), though mine have all been old stones found on the cheap, so I don't know the layers of any of them unfortunately.

Apart from a couple of very fine and slow ones I've found I've been able to raise fine burrs quite easily. Though I largely sharpen Japanese knives, I can imagine it may not be so easy on German knives with tougher, softer steels and thicker grinds. With slurry on Japanese knives they can produce extraordinary edges - very fine, but with masses of bite left. That they don't get talked about more here is an enduring mystery!
I have a "new" one from Ardennes, this is super hard and has a rich garnet content. This can cut really fast just by roughing up the surface and using some pressure. It is less suitable for razors though.
I have this combination stone one the way from France. Burton Rox Rock Coticule backed with Lalune. Should be interesting.

1639055180209.png

Welcome aboard!
Are you sure you're hitting the very edge? You may check by using a permanent marker and a loupe to see where steel got abraded. The first slurry you raise with a softer Coticule will easily deal with abrasion resistant soft stainless. My guess is, you haven't reached the very edge and your sharpening angle was too low.
Once the very edge got hit there will be a burr on the opposite side. It may be you've overlooked a microbevel. When you use the marker you only see it through a loupe as a fine line of ink on top of the edge.

Reactions: JPO
Hy JPO and welcome to the forum.

Cheers from Germany ✌️

Back