Hello from TX

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubaroo

Reaction score
Hi, found this forum while figuring out which chinese cleaver to get. Also looking for sharpening advice. Been reading posts for 2 weeks.
Here's my current mix of low cost knives.

2 Thai Kiwi/Kom Kom knives
2 Kai Wasabi knives
Victorinox bread knife
Shi Ba Zi cleaver (heavy, 3.8mm thick, 500g) I use it on cleaving bone in poultry. It doesn't do well with vegetables or slicing

IMG_4043 (1).jpg

Hey mate, how did you find kom kom? I've been looking around for a higher quality version of the kiwi cleaver I can bang around! Aside from the tang, is the steel about the same i.e. can't hold an edge?

Hi. Yeah its still really soft stainless steel. But because they’re so thin they still cut decent for a while, even after losing the initial sharpness right after sharpening.

The tang is slightly longer (3 rivers) but still not a full tang. Fit and finish is not much different than a regular kiwi. The kom kom is also slightly thicker overall on the blade but still thin and soft enough to flex/bend by hand just like a kiwi.

I think it’s still worth the $15usd or so I paid for it on Amazon back in 2016. If you can find in a local Asian supermarket it maybe cheaper. We still use it often especially for cutting vegetables because of how thin and light it is.

Let me know if you want any measurements off off it. Good luck finding your new knife!

Yeah figured so - I actually found a kiwi cleaver for about 6 usd if I remember correctly, just in the local 2 dollar store. It's heaps of fun to smack around.

I was looking at the kom kom 846P with the plastic handles and possibly better steel? but it runs for about 30 usd shipped over to me here in Melbourne, so was really a bit iffy about that.

Sounds like ill have my bang for the buck with the standard kiwi.

Cheers!

Back