Hello from UK with 30000 grit!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've moved from wicked edge to set of Naniwa 12000 grit and a Sharpton 30000 when I bought more single bevel and now I and I started to make micro bevels at 30000 grit because my end grain cutting board is catching my blade!

My most frequently used knife at the moment is a Mizuno blue 2 Usuba 210mm.

Attachments

• IMG-0290.jpg
    IMG-0290.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I've moved from wicked edge to set of Naniwa 12000 grit and a Sharpton 30000 when I bought more single bevel and now I and I started to make micro bevels at 30000 grit because my end grain cutting board is catching my blade!

My most frequently used knife at the moment is a Mizuno blue 2 Usuba 210mm.

Nice! What do you think of the Shapton 30000 in use? Not too many usuba users here (I have the Mizuno blue-2 myself), so it'd be interesting to hear your views on how it performs at that level of polish.

Which knives are the ones in the picture?

Welcome! I think you are the first ever to introduce yourself at 30,000 grit altitude.

I have an SG30K myself, but I use it only for deburring (which it's really great at!) and as an occasional alternative razor finisher.

I do have plans to play around with the huge jump approach. Things like: Chosera Pro 800 -> Shapton Glass 30000. The hope is to get some sort of toothy-keen hybrid that makes you want to sharpen that way always.

Thanks guys! I always use 12000 grit before 30000 for a mirror finish, I plan to grind some natural stone scraps into powder for cosmetic finishing soon.

Usuba at 30000 grit I can no longer feel the blade cutting food, micro beveling at 30000 feel like 12000 without micro bevel. I often put micro bevel on my usuba to reduce chipping and 30000 grit give me a good advantage on it.

The knives in the photo are Kanetsune seki suminagashi santoku(I think is a AUS-10, bought it 10 years ago as my first knife) and a Mizuno tanrenjo white 2 gyuto.

Here's a Mizuno tanrenjo white 2 usuba and Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan blue 1 single bevel at 30000 grit. sharpening blue 1 is...almost feel if I am sharping an HSS knife, I might get a blue 1 or blue super honyaki to compare with if the suminagasi clad is making me feel it's kind of hard to polish.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back