hello from uk

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome.

Globals are a love em or hate em thing. I can't get by the handles, uncomfortable, slippery, fugly, to even hate the gummy steel😎

Best bread knives include MAC Pro, Tojiro ITK and the one I can't think of. I find the Germans, Henks, Wusties, et al, to be too flexi.

YMMV

Welcome.

Personally, I consider bread knives an unfortunate but rare necessity. A decently sharpened plain edge will concur most crusts but alas, there are times when a serrated edge are the right tool. But it's no more frequent for me than to entertain anything beyond basic functionality.

My preferred tool is a Mercer:
https://www.knifemerchant.com/produ...MIjPiaxfi1-AIV3xatBh1CxQMgEAQYAyABEgIP2_D_BwE
If you bake a lot you might have a greater need.

:)

Last edited:
Welcome.

Globals are a love em or hate em thing. I can't get by the handles, uncomfortable, slippery, fugly, to even hate the gummy steel😎

Best bread knives include MAC Pro, Tojiro ITK and the one I can't think of. I find the Germans, Henks, Wusties, et al, to be too flexi.

YMMV
Thank you daveb. The mac design is appealing as it would double up as a meat carving knife.

Welcome.

Personally, I consider bread knives an unfortunate but rare necessity. A decently sharpened plain edge will concur most crusts but alas, there are times when a serrated edge are the right tool. But it's no more frequent for me than to entertain anything beyond basic functionality.

My preferred tool is a Mercer:
https://www.knifemerchant.com/produ...MIjPiaxfi1-AIV3xatBh1CxQMgEAQYAyABEgIP2_D_BwE
If you bake a lot you might have a greater need.

:)
Thank you HumbleHomeCook. It's needed for very crusty sourdough.

Global knives are pretty polarizing and either a 'love it' or 'hate it' proposition. I had a Global knife a long time ago and it was an experience similar to a no-name grocery store forged knife of a random manufacturer.

A plain edge knife left at a coarse stone sharpening will be pretty grabby and work in place of a serrated knife for many people. The 800 to 1200 grit range is where I would stop for a serrated knife substitute. The benefit is you still have a great knife for large squash or any hard skinned fruit or vegetable. Finding a good VG-10 Gyuto for ~$100USD (plus whatever inflation markup) would be where I start looking.

As long you don't have a really keen edge, a Gyuto or Chef's knife will work on most crusty bread though, a dedicated bread knife will work best.

After some time pressing on with the ancient bread knife here, it's time to decide. I'm thinking of the 'mac superior' (not pro due to cost). May I check if it cuts like a western knife on the push stroke, or like a traditional Japanese saw, on the draw stroke? If the latter, do you easily get used to it?

I prefer the Superior to the pro. Not paid much attention but seems it cuts on the pull.

Great for soft breads, good for any other. I cut 20ish pkgs of Hawaiian rolls every catered event.

Where in the UK do you have a Mac bread knife sharpened? Is it something that is needed often in a household that eats a lot of sourdough?

Sharpening the scallops is fiddly so a light touch on the back side with a flat stone helps keep them going.
Not got the Mac but on the tojiro a gentle swipe down a ceramic rod also helps to maintain.

hello again, still trying to choose a bread knife.
is this the tojiro recommended?
if so, not sure about it because i like lightweight and thin.

how about a kyocera ceramic bread knife like this?
1669249134721.png

hello, i signed up here because i am besotted with the design of the global g9 bread knife.
having read opinions here, i think i need to be talked out of it so that i choose another bread knife.
Perhaps the desire is better than the knife? However, you and the Global may have to get together to see how it is. Easy to return if it's not a good match (it's only bread, and a stainless blade...who would know?)

Back