Hello. new member here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malix

Reaction score
Hey y'all.

Just a home cook here who's been using wustof classic knives 8"& 6" chef and 8" santoku for many years. But Im also a woodworker and as such have come to really love japanese blacksmithing for its history and unwavering commitment to quality. I've been a fan of vintage USA made chisels,handplanes, and saws. And as I became proficient at sharpening my tools I came to understand the different qualities different tool steels provide. While in the rest of the modern world ( and the USA) the quality of products have steadily diminished over the years. In Japan there have been smiths quietly working away and putting out world class knives and WW tools year after year. After losing my 6" chef several years ago I recently replaced it with a Munitoshi 156mm from JNS. I had never used stainless steel tools in my workshop so had never been able to compare stainless and carbon steels in my tools. but from the moment I began cutting with and sharpening my Muni I was in love. I had never realized how crappy the steel in my kitchen knives was. Now I am looking to add a couple of gyutos to my knife drawer. I'll keep the Euro knives for beaters but good Japanese high carbon steels are what i now crave. I also have my eye on a set of chisels from a blacksmith in japan who makes wonderful tools at some point. He makes some very high quality chisels in white #1 that would do nicely.

Welcome! Would love to see some of your woodwork (if you don't mind sharing)...

Similar to the knives I started out with. I did buy some Japanese factory knives before daring the handmade ones.

Welcome Malix! In addition to a fascination with kitchen knives, you will also find a number of amateur and professional artisans on this forum. This a a great place to seek insights into new projects and the unforeseen challenges that often crop up.

Here are pics of a few of the things I've built for my home, Hope you enjoy and thanks for asking me to Share..

First are some stools for my kitchen Island. Quarter Sawn White Oak. These thing are stout. Just pick one up and you'll know they're not from pottery barn. they weigh too damn much :)
IMG_4641.jpeg

IMG_6332.JPG

Next is a built-in mantle/media cabinet for the fireplace. Also QSWO. Sorry i don't have a better pic at the moment.

IMG_4893.jpeg

Lastly is a large computer desk for our kitchen area. It's mostly built of poplar that has multiple layers of milk paint over it. Though the top is solid cherry.

IMG_6331.JPG

Welcome, nice work...one of thiose stools looks like it would fit nicely to my torchio bigolaro!
I just looked up what a Torchio is. After seeing a few small benches with the Torchio pasta extruders attached. I think my handsaw bench would be better for that application :) This is making me hungry for some Cacio e pepe accompanied by a glass of Nobile di Montepulciano!

IMG_6338.JPG

Back