Help for selecting a nakiri -

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You basically get three types of nakiri
- the ones that have a raised tip and heel (similar to a Chinese slicing cleaver - Takeda does this)
- flat to a raised tip
- totally flat (Moritaka from what I understand)

Preference I think comes down to technique. From all the ones I've tried I like the flat to a raised tip.

The one that has resonated with me:
20210914_143227.jpg

You basically get three types of nakiri
- the ones that have a raised tip and heel (similar to a Chinese slicing cleaver - Takeda does this)
- flat to a raised tip
- totally flat (Moritaka from what I understand)

Preference I think comes down to technique. From all the ones I've tried I like the flat to a raised tip.

The one that has resonated with me:
View attachment 156979

esoo, so what cutting style makes you like the one in your photo?

esoo, so what cutting style makes you like the one in your photo?

When using the nakiri, I'm generally either doing a tap chop (straight down) or push cut (down and forward). With the amount of flat, there is very little chance of accordion cuts. Having the small rise at the tip allows for occasional rock chops.

Also to add the the weight of this nakiri (220g) I find helps with the rhythm of both types of cut.

When using the nakiri, I'm generally either doing a tap chop (straight down) or push cut (down and forward). With the amount of flat, there is very little chance of accordion cuts. Having the small rise at the tip allows for occasional rock chops.

Also to add the the weight of this nakiri (220g) I find helps with the rhythm of both types of cut.
This makes complete sense to me so I’m glad to hear someone confirm what I suspected. So why (like my other pictures nakiri) would a nakiri be made with a curved belly like a chef knife? What am I missing? What’s the point of it? Thanks

I’m more confused than ever. LOL let’s do it this way. Which of the two look most useful? One is more straight and taller the other shorter more curved.
emmm...I'll choose the straight one as well. I am getting used to the straight down and push cut style. The curve one should be the one for rocking (I suppose?). As you said before, its a board contact difference. And this would relate to your chopping style.

This makes complete sense to me so I’m glad to hear someone confirm what I suspected. So why (like my other pictures nakiri) would a nakiri be made with a curved belly like a chef knife? What am I missing? What’s the point of it? Thanks

Well, all those that use a Chinese cleaver can't be wrong - since they have a belly in the middle. So it comes down to technique.

For example, a tiny raise at the back of a chef's knife is actually a good thing - if you have an uber-flat profile and rock chop, a really flat heel stops uncomfortably (one complaint that some have against Yoshikane).

Back