Help ID La Trompette, Different Handle & Rivet Style

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kato

Reaction score
Hi, first post...found a box of old kitchen knives and other utensils, the first one I picked up is a La Trompette marked 1878 M. Pouset France. It's 15-1/4" total, aprox. 10-1/4" blade and full tang. There are 5 "rivets in the handle, spaced 2-1-2. I tried searching for the exact style but don't see anything like it. It would be nice to know it's date and value. Also is it worth keeping/sharpening and using it or would that hurt it's value? Thanks
20190814_103331 (Large).jpg
20190814_103440 (1) (Large).jpg
20190814_103244 (Large).jpg

They probably aren't rivets but peened pins. It's old. And in wonderful shape and rare. If it were my knife and I wanted to get rid of it I would sell it on eBay auction. If I were bidding on this knife on eBay I would not expect to be able to purchase it for less than $150. But it could go for a lot more than that. It's just a question of finding the right buyer. Somebody else might be able to give you more specifics. La Trompette is a desirable brand and most of the ones I have seen are nogent style with ebony handles. The full tang with pins is something I haven't seen before. Awesome knife. Condition looks great for the age.

Monetary value is hard to estimate. Auctions are extremely unpredictable stuff. You might get a lot or really not much. This is not very saught after for use, but the brand in this condition, makes it desirable for display. Don't change it.

How about the spine from handle to tip? Generally these knives are known for having very expertly forged/ground distal taper. That's kind of what I'm looking for. They are also often bent/warped like the one I have below.

IMG_20190815_121846.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo, at a certain angle there is a slight warp.

20190815_155819 (Large).jpg

It's not a chef knife. Probably a slicer. So that hurts the value. But it's rare and in great condition and straight. It's a really nice piece. If it was a chef knife I would have PM'd you an offer for $400. Auctions are fickle but a lot of people are bidding on Trompettes. They see a lot of action.

This one has me stumped.
I’ve seen/used a bunch of these old Sabs (because they used to be easy to find cheap on the bay). Some early ones are exquisite examples of distal taper—some of the thinnest tips that you’ll see anywhere.

The handle and bolster is what’s confusing me. That style is more British and American. The usual style for old Sabs is a “nogent” handle (fitted to a rat tail tang which is peened over at the handle butt end).

This can’t be a re-handle since it is a flat tang.
I wonder if this was for export to Canada? Five-pin handle knives were common in Canada, and there was a tradition of this handle style in trade knives there too...

Last edited:
Curiously I had same idea. The French public expected a virole on a rat tail tang. Full tang only introduced very lately. Have seen pins instead of rivets with Sheffields until the fifties.
My guess would be it was meant for export — as a butcher's knife.

Last edited:
Almost looks like a surgeon's or mortician's knife, though I'd expect either to be more highly finished.

It's not a chef knife. Probably a slicer. So that hurts the value. But it's rare and in great condition and straight. It's a really nice piece. If it was a chef knife I would have PM'd you an offer for $400. Auctions are fickle but a lot of people are bidding on Trompettes. They see a lot of action.

Even with the marks and discoloration? It looks like it was cleaned and oiled a long time ago.

Latest posts

Back