Help identifying this "Archibald London" "Classic Hagane" Swedish steel knife set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
I got this "classic Hagane" knife set whitelabeled for "Archibald London", a startup fashion brand from England that emphasizes traditional artisans and workshops. The pictures below are for their "classic Hagane" set (210 mm gyuto, 180 mm kamagata, 130 mm petit) with western handles, semi stainless in Swedish steel (their website says: "the highest grade and purest steel available"). All they say is the knives are made in Seki City in Japan, and they caution to be careful until the steel develops a patina and becomes less reactive.

I'm posting a lot of pictures below. Can anyone help me identify who makes these knives, what the steel might be, and what the quality and price point would be? Archibald London sells the set of 3 for a full retail price of $475.

Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03570.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03572.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03575.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03581.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03582.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03584.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03585.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03590.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03591.JPG
Archibald Kiya Swedish No 6 Knife DSC03597.JPG

Last edited:
Am feeling these in hand, but feedback is that Misono Swedish is a great, nicely balanced budget non-stainless right? And the only other prominent maker who does Swedish like this is Kiya?

It looks very similar to Kiya's #6 Swedish line. The same sticker "ハガネ さびます" on the handle and the same anti-rust paper.
If I remember correctly, Kiya's #6 is OEMed from Misono.

Isn't Kiya just a Dept store? So basically a retailer that commissions knives from various makers. These scream Misono

So what's the rough quality/price point of these knives, where are they (and Misono/Kiya Swedish) in the spectrum? Anything these knives do well in particular?

Anything these knives do well in particular?

Misono make solid knives with very high fit and finish.
Their knives cut large things into smaller things and sharpen very easily.
Use a 150mm petty for everything from small prep and travel duties to trimming proteins and dismembering chickens.

So what's the rough quality/price point of these knives, where are they (and Misono/Kiya Swedish) in the spectrum? Anything these knives do well in particular?

The set probably isn't going to be, dollar for dollar, the best knives out there, but for a retailer selling a house branded line? Perfectly respectable. Misono Sweden Steel are good knives. That looks like a reasonable markup in context to me.

for a retailer selling a house branded line? That looks like a reasonable markup in context to me.
But is Amazon cheaper than the house branded line? The set was about US$400, already discounted, but the 210 mm gyuto is just US$150 on Amazon.

But is Amazon cheaper than the house branded line? The set was about US$400, already discounted, but the 210 mm gyuto is just US$150 on Amazon.

If I were going to buy Misono Sweden Steel knives today I'd probably get them from JCK.

Got it, thanks. No, someone gave these to me and I'm trying to figure out what they are after checking the brand's website.

Got it, thanks. No, someone gave these to me and I'm trying to figure out what they are after checking the brand's website.

Ah yes, sorry lost the thread there. Would agree with those above that these are very likely Misono Sweden Steel rebranded for the boutique. Nice knives! Your friend bought you something well respected on a niche Japanese kitchen knife forum, which is no small feat.

Thanks, I just wanted to research for the giver though because the brand claims to bring artisan brands at below market (or at least below fashion label) prices. If it's well above Amazon prices, I know the giver would want to know.

Is there any more feedback on the Sweden steel line? I couldn't find much other than the general (and positive) feedback on the forum.

Thanks, I just wanted to research for the giver though because the brand claims to bring artisan brands at below market (or at least below fashion label) prices. If it's well above Amazon prices, I know the giver would want to know.

Archibald sells those knives for considerably more than you can buy the Misono Sweden Steel knives from any reputable retailer.
This is to be expected for Misono OEM.
Prices for Misono Sweden Series from JCK, a retailer in Seki that ships international.
210 gyuto: $116
180 santoku: $120
130 petty: $79
Shipping $15
Total: $330 shipped to UK.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/misono-sweden-steel-series-forged-carbon-steel

Archibald sells those knives for considerably more than you can buy the Misono Sweden Steel knives from any reputable retailer.
Prices for Misono Sweden Series from JCK, a retailer in Seki that ships international.
Shipping $15

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/misono-sweden-steel-series-forged-carbon-steel

Given that it's being sold in a boutique fashion store in London and (as you mentioned) OEM/branded which surely costs something, this does not strike me as some crazy markup. They offer a very limited selection of knives. If anything, this suggests to me that the purveyor has good taste and a head for value - if all someone said was that a friend bought a set of knives at a boutique fashion store, wouldn't you expect much worse value than this? They even go so far as to offer deals (as they are right now) where they transparently remove the markup, which puts the price at 368.

This giver is not like me. If I gave a nice gift; the last thing I would want to hear from the recipient is that I could have gotten them cheaper. We call that "looking a gift horse in the mouth"- bad move in some cultures. But I am sure you know your friend well. I am just commenting on cultural differences. I think you could very well enjoy those knives. Congratulations..

There is no cultural difference, the giver told me he thinks he got them from a website that sources artisan products cheaper than other brands.

Shipping $15

Add customs fee & european VAT....
That makes for roughly +25%.
Ok, that‘s still less than what this hipster shop asks.

Back