Help me add to my small collection!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadoo

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd love some help choosing a new knife or two for home use.
I have 4 knives so far:

Masakage Yuki Gyuto 180mm - This was my first and was a great starting point
Wakui Gyuto 240mm shirogami#2 i think.
Kurosaki Bunka 165mm AS - really, really thin edge, light and nimble and i use it a lot but is out of commission with some bad chips.
Yoshikane Petty AS tsuchime - just a great little knife. We use it all the time but my wife and kids always leave it wet and i have to keep sorting it out.

I use the Kurosaki and the Yoshikane the most and the Wakui less than I thought i would. That might be because the sharpness OOTB was not great and I hadn't gotten round to sharpening. To many chisels and planes to do all the time! I finally sharpened and stropped it this weekend and it takes a really nice edge. It is a fairly hefty knife but I don't mind that.

So what I'd like is a Stain-less petty that I can let the wife and kids use so it doesn't matter if it gets left wet.
Konosuke HD2?

I also want a replacement for the out of action Kurosaki. I like the Bunka style with the K-tip but would be just as happy with a Gyuto or K-tip Santoku, but like a thin tip. I also enjoy the Bunka length for everyday meal veg prep.Ideally I'd get a replacement Bunka and a nicer Gyuto in the 180-210mm range. Unlike tool steels, I don't know enough about knife steels to have much of a preference. I'm happy with what I have, happy with stainless or carbon or a combo. Always Wa handle.

Some things i've seen today that caught my eye:

Sakai Takayuki Aogami Super Blue Kengata Santoku - looks awesome, know nothing about it.
Nigara Hamono - seen some nice AS and SG2 Gyutos and they do a nice Nakiri with a K-tip. Taller than my Bunka and looks great. no experience of the maker
Yoshikane Bunka, Santoku with K-tip and the Gyuto with black tsuchime finish. All look great. Are they heftier than Kurosaki?

I don't know if the first two makers are well thought but I'm looking for something as good as or better than the makers I already have. Probably up to £150-200 on a petty and up to £300ish on a Bunka, or Gyuto.
I'm in the UK, I bought from Cleancut before before Brexit makes that more expensive now.

Sorry for the long post and If i've missed any info let me know.
Cheers
Dave

My wife loves this little petty and the price is right. She hasn’t managed to chip it yet and it’s VG10 so no worries about rust. OOTB the tang was slightly proud in a few places so I had to sand it down with 400 grit sandpaper and the edge benefited from a light touchup.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...-vg-10-tsuchime-damascus-petty-135mm-5-3-inch
Take a look at Shibata bunkas since it sounds like you like knives verging on laser territory. Shibata gyutos are a straight up lasers and I assume his bunkas follow that trend so you might like it; they’re available in a variety of steels.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/shibata-kotetsu-bunka-175mm

Hi Dave,

I am no authoritative source, but I was in a very similar petty market and ended very happily with a VG10 150mm Nashiji Petty from Yoshimi Kato. It is exactly what I hoped for - thin and nimble with a good point. I use it pretty regularly at home when I don't have the space or I'm being quick. I've not had to sharpen it yet so cannot say for sure how that will go, but it is not obscure and I've been using it for some months of home use without notable performance decline. It was not an absolute razor out of the box, but perfectly fine (and I have other razors when needed).

Yoshimi Kato | VG10 Nashiji | Petty 150mm

There is a very similar geometry knife from JKI that is a bit slimmer and Migaki White #2. I've held this one, but not used it. I was torn on these, but wanted to go with stainless for this particular knife.

Yoshimi Echizen 150mm Stainless Clad White #2 Migaki Wa-Petty

FWIW in your bunka/gyuto calculation: This geometry of this Santoku from the same line at JKI always gets my eye.

Yoshimi Echizen 165mm Stainless Clad White #2 Migaki Santoku

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris, that petty looks really nice. I don't think i've seen that one in the UK.

Take a look at Shibata bunkas since it sounds like you like knives verging on laser territory. Shibata gyutos are a straight up lasers and I assume his bunkas follow that trend so you might like it; they’re available in a variety of steels.

https://carbonknifeco.com/products/shibata-kotetsu-bunka-175mm

Thanks Delat. I remember that Bunka being on my shortlist last time, looks really nice. Out of stock in the UK places i know of though.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I would at least put the Wakui through its paces for a while. Even if you still want to buy another gyuto after that it'll give you a better idea about your preferences to base your next purchase upon. Maybe you just need some time to get used to the extra length and weight compared to your 180.
I'd also try to salvage the bunka before buying a new one or a santoku (which would be very similar to a bunka). Even if you can't or don't want to do it yourself it must be possible to find some professional sharpener who's willing and able to do it for far less than the cost of an entirely new knife.

But if you insist on buying something right now... you already have gyutos, so maybe consider something longer like a sujihiki? Or some other profile / length you haven't tried before.
Regarding petties it helps if you have some idea of what you intend to do with it; there's a lot of variety in shapes and sizes. For example most people who use them as a small gyuto on vegetables tend to gravitate towards a taller blade, whereas for meat works less height / a narrow blade tends to be more useful.

Since you are in the UK, I'd be looking at Cutting Edge Knives. I'd try something lighter than your Wakui, like a Kono GS+ GS+ from Konosuke – Cutting Edge Knives . I too own a 240mm Wakui, and the balance is off for me, compared to the 3 lasers I own. I'll probably install a heavier handle at some point, but a 240mm laser like a Ginga or Ikazuchi is more comfortable for me in use. The GS+ isn't fully stainless, the core steel is SLD/D2, but it shouldn't be very reactive. If you want fully stainless, the Tsunehisa SRS13 line is well priced Tsunehisa SRS13 – Cutting Edge Knives . SRS13 is a powder metallurgy stainless steel. The blade profile of these match the Ikazuchi I own (possibly the same OEM). With the rosewood handles the 240mm gyuto should be pretty neutral in balance.

Out of the makers you list, Yoshikane is the one I would favor. They should be similar to your Wakui though, Wakui worked for Yoshikane. Expect a Yoshikane to be heavier than a Yu Kurosaki of similar size. Yoshikane is convex ground though (as are my recommendations). I prefer the feel and performance of convex ground knives to hollow ground knives (Kurosaki).

I would at least put the Wakui through its paces for a while.....

I'd also try to salvage the bunka ......

But if you insist on buying something right now... you already have gyutos, so maybe consider something longer like a sujihiki? Or some other profile / length you haven't tried before.

Regarding petties ........... most people who use them as a small gyuto on vegetables tend to gravitate towards a taller blade.

I have used the Wakui a fair bit, i think i just find it a bit blade heavy and unbalanced. I like it better now that I've sharpened but would like to try something shorter as well.

What jobs do you do with a sujihiki? I've never held one.

That's what the petty will mostly be used for so a taller one is what I'm after

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:
Since you are in the UK, I'd be looking at Cutting Edge Knives. I'd try something lighter than your Wakui, like a Kono GS+ GS+ from Konosuke – Cutting Edge Knives . I too own a 240mm Wakui, and the balance is off for me, compared to the 3 lasers I own. I'll probably install a heavier handle at some point, but a 240mm laser like a Ginga or Ikazuchi is more comfortable for me in use. The GS+ isn't fully stainless, the core steel is SLD/D2, but it shouldn't be very reactive. If you want fully stainless, the Tsunehisa SRS13 line is well priced Tsunehisa SRS13 – Cutting Edge Knives . SRS13 is a powder metallurgy stainless steel. The blade profile of these match the Ikazuchi I own (possibly the same OEM). With the rosewood handles the 240mm gyuto should be pretty neutral in balance.

Out of the makers you list, Yoshikane is the one I would favor. They should be similar to your Wakui though, Wakui worked for Yoshikane. Expect a Yoshikane to be heavier than a Yu Kurosaki of similar size. Yoshikane is convex ground though (as are my recommendations). I prefer the feel and performance of convex ground knives to hollow ground knives (Kurosaki).

Thanks man, appreciate the suggestions. Im looking on cuttingedge and kitchenprovisions. Used to use Cleancut for Brexit has ruined the prices sadly.

Will go and have a look at your suggestions now.

I have used the Wakui, i think i just find it a bit blade heavy and unbalanced. I like it better now that I've sharpened but would like to try something shorter as well.

What jobs do you do with a sujihiki? I've never held one.

That's what the petty will mostly be used for so a taller one is what I'm after

Thanks for all the input!
A sujihiki is basically just a fancier word for a slicer. I use mine for slicing (larger cuts) of meat, and sometimes fish (I simply don't eat fish much). If you're a vegetarian it's probably completely pointless. It's far from mandatory, but if you do larger cuts of meat at least occasionally it's certainly a 'nice to have'.

Think i'm leaning towards a Konosuke HD2 210mm. Is that still viewed as a classic and a good option?

And for the petty, I'm not sure. Has to be close to stainless compared to my iron-clad Yoshikane. The Konosuke Sumiiro 150mm is interesting and fairly tall. The burnt chestnut handle is a bit blingy though.

Would the HD2 version be an even better choice?
The HD2 line is different from the GS line. The HD2 is thin but with a stiff spine and subtle convex. The GS is thinner and more flexible.
Both of them are semi-stainless, so while not as reactive as carbon, it will take some patina.

Here is some discussion on the GS line.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...perience-with-the-konosuke-gs-sld-line.52722/
Yeah I'd say the HD2 is a better option, as long as you don't mind monosteel non-stainless.
What concerns do you have with monosteel (HD2)?

The HD2 line is different from the GS line. The HD2 is thin but with a stiff spine and subtle convex. The GS is thinner and more flexible.
Both of them are semi-stainless, so while not as reactive as carbon, it will take some patina.

Here is some discussion on the GS line.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...perience-with-the-konosuke-gs-sld-line.52722/

What concerns do you have with monosteel (HD2)?
Mostly I thought he was looking for stainless for both (I see now that was just for the petty). The HD2 is A2/SKD, which is lower in corrosion resistance than the GS+ D2/SLD.

I have both GS+ and HD2 before, I prefer the HD2, Monosteel better than Sanmai IMO for tougher tasks because it’s not easily bended. Unless you’re looking for knife that doesn’t require much maintenance, then yeah GS+ Would be more convenient than HD2, but HD2 can be almost stainless too if you wipe often, gains patina very very slowly. If I have to go back and buy one again, that would be HD2 for the performance.

Mostly I thought he was looking for stainless for both (I see now that was just for the petty). The HD2 is A2/SKD, which is lower in corrosion resistance than the GS+ D2/SLD.
I dont know where you saw that HD2 is A2/SKD. Do you have a source?

My thoughts

A bunka is kind of like a k-tip nakiri, they tend to have a fairly flat profile. So, adding a santoku to your mix isn’t redundant, find one with a nice belly.

Another petty is also good, you can get one a different size and make it stainless so it’s easier to share with your family. You can’t have too many petties.

210 Gyuto is a great size, the tips are often pointy enough, but you can go for a 210 Kiritsuke if you are a fan of k-tip. They often have a flatter profile than a gyutou.

Thanks everyone. I haven't been able to find a tallish stainless petty from UK dealers so I'll keep looking.

I've ordered the Konosuke HD2 from CuttingEdge, looking forward to getting my hands on it. James was really helpful.

And I had a go at regrinding and thinning the Bunka. Turned out ok. I think it helped that I've worked on a lot of hand plane blades and chisels. Only freehanded knives a couple of times but i do enjoy it.

Quick update - the HD2 and Saya arrived promptly from CuttingEdge.

Wow, what a nice knife. Very simple, not flashy but the finish is impeccable. I'm stunned by how thin and consistent it is. Came really well sharpened and cuts nicely. Very, very pleased with it!

The only thing I would change is the 'HD2' logo, it feels out of place somehow.

Back