Help me build my progression

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now just out of curiosity is their a finishing stone that one would go to right from the sp1000? Skipping the 2000...

Choice of stone is very subjective. I think all of the options recommended above are perfectly fine. I like the Rika because its a "pleasant/good feeling stone", especially compared with the Shapton Pro 1000 which looks like you will be coming from. so that remains my recommendation...

Rika is a very good stone indeed if you want a steeper progression. Feeling wise and with working some mud, people like to say it starts 3K but as you work gets finer up to its advertised grit. I think it reflects it well from my experience.

Now just out of curiosity is their a finishing stone that one would go to right from the sp1000? Skipping the 2000...
Depends. For sharpening I regularly do Glass 500 (which in use is a little coarser than SP 1k) -> 4k. Thinning and polishing I'll do SG 500 -> SP 2k -> SG 4k

I always take whatever sharpened on SP1000 to SP2000. Just don't buy higher grits of SPs. I don't particularly like using the SP5K, although it does leave a nice edge, it's also very demanding not to mess up your work, have to be very precise, and it doesn't help that there's absolutely no feedback and a glassy feeling.

As I said in your other post, SP2000 is also quite the touch-up stone.

i dont have the 5k but i do have the 8 and 12k and those are very good imo. the 8k is like the ultimate high grit stone. and i have a few. it feels good, very fast for its grit, things get really scary sharp. doesn't clog easily (for its grit). no dishing. its basically a higher grit 2k.

The SP 5k that I have is not toothy enough for my taste. I use it mainly for polishing bevels rather than for sharpening edges.

you can jump straight to a 4k or a 6-8-12k no problem.

the finishing stone is chose depending on what steel you have at hand imo. 8-12k is definitely wasted on cheap stainless.
8-12k is for hard carbon.
4k for quality SS like powder and other fine grained ss like 13c26/aeb-l
3k is good for other lesser ss like vg10.
the 2k is for the steels that can't really take a finer edge, or its a complete waste of time putting it on there. like 55hrc germans.

if you only have soft germans almost everything above 2k is just a waste of time. even 2k might be.

I have all low quality stuff but friends often will ask me to sharpen some pocket knives with hard steel. I think the Rockwell on my moraknife is only 58 sandvik stainless but man it seems hard. Took me forever to flat grind it and get rid of the factory micro bevel.

if you only have soft germans almost everything above 2k is just a waste of time. even 2k might be.

It does refine the edge, and in my use does seem to hold quite well. But I agree with you that when you're back on the cutting board, these just work as well out from any coarse med stone, and it's not as if you'd really feel a huge difference in the refined edge. Sharp soft SS always has that sort of numbness to them, compared to the same progression on any harder steels.

I have all low quality stuff but friends often will ask me to sharpen some pocket knives with hard steel. I think the Rockwell on my moraknife is only 58 sandvik stainless but man it seems hard. Took me forever to flat grind it and get rid of the factory micro bevel.

its actually quite soft. you will notice this when you get hold of some 62+ blades to sharpen. then it feels like youre rubbing a crayon on the stone.

The best part is that I used the cheap amazon stones to do it lol
Probably why it took so long and I only had 400 for the lowest grit

Ok....after using the sp 1000 I really like the splash and go aspect. Therefore the next stones can be:
Sp 2000 Which I’m not against but I’m trying to avoid having to buy another stone above it.

Nobody likes the sp5000 so I’ve ruled it out

The SGs are a bit pricey for me but I could wait awhile and get a 4 or 5k

Get the king 6000 for 24$ and live with it, don’t know how going from sp1k will be but I’m sure it will be ok

As for steel I’m sure some higher quality carbon will be acquired at some point

Last edited:
Ok....after using the sp 1000 I really like the splash and go aspect. Therefore the next stones can be:
Sp 2000 Which I’m not against but I’m trying to avoid having to buy another stone above it.

Nobody likes the sp5000 so I’ve ruled it out

The SGs are a bit pricey for me but I could wait awhile and get a 4 or 5k

Get the king 6000 for 24$ and live with it, don’t know how going from sp1k will be but I’m sure it will be ok

As for steel I’m sure some higher quality carbon will be acquired at some point
I have the King 6k and SG 4k. I definitely like the SG better. I can get good edges off the King 6k though. SG is just a better stone all around.

Back