Help me buy my first knife quetionnaire

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsmoke

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef (but also interested in slicer recommendations)

Are you right or left handed?

right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese but western is not a deal breaker

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8 to 10 inch

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300-$500
prefer the $300 but if the knife is blows me away willing to spend $500, if I could get a chef and slicer for $500 would also consider that

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

slicing and chopping meat and vegetables some meat trimming, but nothing to do with bone or bone removal

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
just adding to

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch and Hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice, chop and push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Aesthetics-matte finish prefered, no damascus(then I worry about scratching it). Wa handle not fussy on look or material,
Comfort- balanced, I have large hands so a handle that is comfortable to hold
Ease of Use-less wedging and better food release, for slicing, chopping and push cutting
Edge Retention-Not to concerned with edge retention, more interested on keenness of edge

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
N/A

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I got into knives through sharpening, so I am comfortable caring for and maintaing my knives. Which is why I would prefer a knife with steel that gives me a really great edge. I am willing to sacrifice edge retention for a keener edge

Welcome! In terms of ultimate keeness and sharpness you may want to look into white steel knives (shirogami), although they are not the only steels that take and hold a very keen edge. I see you're in Toronto, are you familiar with the few Japanese knife stores in the area?

For the slicer, what will you be slicing? Crusty cooked proteins, raw fish, little bit of everything?

Hi, I am familiar with the stores in the area and have bought most of my sharpening gear from Tosho. As far the slicer, little bit of everything.

Take a look at the Gengetsu from Japanese Knife Imports. I have the semi stainless 240mm. Great food release without wedging (I think it’s an S grind) and gets very sharp; if you can really reach the level of sharpness where the steel type is the limiting condition, even among high end steels, it’s also available in White 2. About 49mm high at the heel.

For ultimate enjoyment on the stones I'd suggest Tanaka B2 Nashiji from K&S. It's the one that really just wants to get sharp if you even mention sharpening stones in it's presence. I know W1 and W2 are preferred, but for some reason Tanakas B2 works better for me and has a little better edge retention to boot.

Check out Wakui W2 from K&S. Another knife that just loves the stones. For most people maybe a bit better over all profile over the Tanaka. Longer flat spot and a superb grind.

But for the task listed Itinomonn StainLess from JNS is hard to beat. Profile, distal taper, tip etc. should work great for you. It's semi SS or rather semi carbon and plays very nicely on the stones. Takes a great edge too. I know you mentioned that edge retention isn't high on your list, but from these three this has the best one and with some margin. So it's the best of both world's option.

Like already mentioned, others worth looking at are definitely the Gengetsu W2 and Semi SS from JKI.

Thanks for the suggestions JaVa, they all look like great options. The Gengetsu w2 with the kiritsuke profile seems 5o be the one really speaking to me. I’ve never had or used a knife with the kiritsuke profile. What are the benefits or drawbacks of it?

There are differences in how kiritsuke gyutos are shaped, but in most cases the tip is lower and the edge profile is flatter compared to a gyuto.

Back