Help me Choose a 210mm Gyuto from Mizaki, Yoshikane, Wakui, and Hinoura

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twotimehojo

Reaction score
Hello!! The decision making is almost overwhelming. Need some help. I know the advice to buy them all. But not practical here:)

Deciding between these knives. Can someone comment on the grind and ease of sharpening. Why would I choose one over the other?
My questionaiire was filled out here:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...ce-needed-to-start-rabbit-hole-descent.47703/
Wakui 210 W2 Gyuto from CC.eu, Nashiji Finish
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifebrands/wakui-sanjo/gyuto_wakui-3700-3719-3720-3748-detail
215mm Mizaki Gyuto from CC.eu, Migaki Finish
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifebrands/mazaki-migaki/gyuto_kasumi-3131-detail
210 (214mm) Mizaki Gyuto from CKC, Nashiji Finish
https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/mazaki/products/mazaki-white-2-kuro-nashiji-gyuto-210mm
210 Yoshikane Gyuto, W2 Iron Cladding, K Finish. Great looking knife IMO. Height is only 47mm though.
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...-tsuchime-white-2-gyuto-210mm-chestnut-handle
210 Yoshikane Gyuto, W2 Iron Cladding, Nashiji Finish from CC.eu, There is the almost same knife in Kurochi finish too.
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knife...ane/kockkniv21_kashima_sanjo-octo-3258-detail
And to really throw into the mix.
210 Hinoura Gyuto, SS cladding. This may be my favorite but the most expensive.
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifebrands/hinoura-3-series/hinoura/gyuto_hinoura-1-detail

I like the 210 Yoshikane Gyuto, W2 Iron Cladding, K Finish. Great looking knife IMO. Height is only 47mm though.

47 mm is not an issue with pinch grip and normal hands, should be fine.
I would not worry on sharpening on any of these knifes at all.

They'll all be a joy to sharpen, the Hinoura less so because it's Aogami Super (AS). The weight differences between the rest of them will be noticeable. In particular, the Carbon Knife Co (CKC) Mazaki will feel the most authoritative, I'd imagine. I haven't tried one of that batch yet, but people seem to like them. Had a knife very similar to the Wakui at some point and thought it was great. If you want a knife that'll just blow through produce, though, get the Yoshikane.

Also, the Hinoura and the Wakui are both "wide bevel" blades, meaning that you sharpen them a bit differently. You can touch up the edge when it needs it, but then you also sharpen the whole part of the knife under the black finish (kurouchi) with some frequency, so the knife stays thin behind the edge. Some people don't like the performance of wide bevels, others (including me) do like them for the ease of maintenance and the aesthetics.

I don't think the other blades are true wide bevels.

You'll also have to decide whether you want an iron clad blade or a stainless clad one. All the knives are reactive at the edge (the Hinoura a bit less so than the others) but the most reactive part of the iron clad ones will be the iron, by far. It can require some care. You'll have to decide if you're up for that.

Don't think about this for more than 5 days, though. Just buy one. If you don't like it after a while, sell it and buy another one.

I like the Yoshikane with the hammered finish!!!

My first 2 japanese gyutos were Aogami Super so you'll see that i prefer the edge retention on those. White steel has the capability of getting sharper than blue, but you'd need to have those sharpening skills to attain that. I don't think i'm there yet, but can get a knife shaving sharp, which is good enough for any food.

My first 2 knives were 1. Kurouchi finish, 2. Hammered Kurouchi finish. (Kurouchi is the cheaper of most finishes) so my next one would likely be a migaki / polished finish either with or without hammering.

Keep some available budget for 1 or 2 sharpening stones if you don't have them already.

What Ian said. Plus it’ll be up to you to find out what you like and you’ll only find that out by using a knife. You’ll only lose a few dollars by reselling here and those will all move pretty quick.

Yoshi ftw. Several good options out there, I'm partial to the one from Cleancut. CKC variant would also be a strong choice.

Mazaki is always the right answer :cool: Seeing as how I have the 240 version of the CleanCut Migaki I would have wanted to try the KU from CKC ;)

I do love the migaki, but a word of warning - I find the cladding to be fairly reactive. Despite a decent patina it still stains onions pretty bad.

My maz was very underwhelming...at first. After hours upon hours of thinning, a new handle, and a semi decently looking petina it still just sits in my drawer... though it’s WAY better than it was.

Flip a coin, you’ll almost certainly love whichever of those knees you go for.

I'm biased towards Hinoura and then Yoshi. Wakui's other line is my favorite budget pick at $200 for 270 and cheaper. Never been interested in Maz either.

I picked up a Yoshi 240 W2 nashi from the forums and was impressed. It's just a pretty knife and a great cutter. I'm with you on the height, but I don't think it's deal breaker. Imo 47mm is not short for a 210. If cutting power and heft are your thing, the Mazaki fits the bill. I'm still trying to figure out what to make of mine. I don't have any experience with Hinoura... Got some great choices.

I might be the only one here that's underwhelmed with Mazaki. Great example of a very average knife..

Isben was right!
I like my Mazaki as a heavily tapered heavy middleweight (even if the cladding is uber reactive), but there do seem to have been a lot of iterations of the grind and I do get the impression that some of them do not get as high regard.

Wakui and Yoshikane both produce knives of varying grinds/ thicknesses and I haven't used the exact knives that you linked. My Yoshi Tsuchime (hammered) SKD (noth white2) is a thicker knife with excellent food release, as is my Wakui Tsuchime. Many of their knives are much thinner, for example the Yoshikane Amekiri/ Nashiji Yoshikane Amekiri White 2 Gyuto 240mm Stainless Clad Nashiji Finish

Have you decided whether you want a thinner or a thicker knife or a middleweight?

All Sanjo makers and all makers are Ex-Yoshikane or Have Apprentice in Yoshikane.
I have all (kinda.. some are 240 version and other types) except the Yoshikane. In terms of performance, hands down Hinoura. In terms of ease of use, Mazaki and Wakui but the Mazaki cladding is a *****, it reacts stupidly fast than others. either one, you will not be disappointed. just the steel choice and finish are different. if you want edge retention, go with blue, if you want scary sharp, go with white. Mazaki has a big cult following here, I like it, but it's a bit to wedgy for me.

They'll all be a joy to sharpen, the Hinoura less so because it's Aogami Super (AS). The weight differences between the rest of them will be noticeable. In particular, the Carbon Knife Co (CKC) Mazaki will feel the most authoritative, I'd imagine. I haven't tried one of that batch yet, but people seem to like them. Had a knife very similar to the Wakui at some point and thought it was great. If you want a knife that'll just blow through produce, though, get the Yoshikane.
Just a coment on the Hinoura AS, its very easy to sharpen( i don't feel the difference to white 2) due to heat treat and will hold the sharpness for a lot longer. I would try Yoshikane for the wider bevel and geometry and refinement over the Mazaki. I find it to be the better knife.

Reactions: ian
I might be the only one here that's underwhelmed with Mazaki. Great example of a very average knife..

Isben was right!
I was very underwhelmed by my older mazaki, but I tried one of the newer ones and it was a fantastic performer, much different, much, much better. But I do think yoshikane are phenomenal. The ys I had was top notch.

Thank you all for the great responses. I think it is between the Yoshi KT in White 2 and the Hinoura AS SS. I guess i am looking for a middleweight. Thin enough to slice through soft veggies but just a bit sturdy since it is my first real Japanese knife. If the Hinoura sharpens easy and gives a nice edge and clad in SS, that would seem to be the easier knife long term. But I do love the hammered Yoshi KT look and handle! I will make the decision on Monday so any additional comments are welcome.

My maz was very underwhelming...at first. After hours upon hours of thinning, a new handle, and a semi decently looking petina it still just sits in my drawer... though it’s WAY better than it was.
I tend to agree with you - I just got a new CKC mazaki 240 Gyuto and I loved it on the first day or two - but now, it sits there unused - I use my Toyoma, my Heiji, jiro, kagekiyo, whatever. I actually never reach for the mazaki - I think I am a victim of the mazaki hype on this forum and I think that.’a why I said I love it - but objectively- it’s OK, a $280 knife, nothing more and nothing less. Sure he rode a Harley around japan, and we as Americans glorify that, but it does not mean he makes an outstanding knife. He makes a decent knife. I think I drunk the cool aid like everyone else and bought a mazaki: nice knife, I do enjoy it, decent but nothing more. I am not in awe of it like my Togashi-Tosa Aogami Gyuto. I have stated more than that on this forum, but I started to suspect I was not being objective

Iron clad Hinoura is sold out. Another interesting option is the 240mm Yoshi KT. The height is then 50mm and it has a bit more heft. Height and wt is what I am used too. The length not so much. I have a 210 Shun Classic chef already.

I have both a Hinoura KU and Mazaki. owned a Yoshi about 9 year ago. My rec would be Mazaki, tallest knife, best blade geometry.

Back