Help me choose a (cheaper) gyoto!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s challenging to find decent wa handled gyutos in your price range. Moving up to $150-200 gives a lot more options. Or if you’re open to a yo handle, there are some good options that are a bit cheaper.
Yeah, I think I'll just try and save up a bit since it's a good investment. I'm surprised that the handle makes a difference in cost. I thought the yo style would be more, just seems like it would be more work, but guess not!

Yeah, I think I'll just try and save up a bit since it's a good investment. I'm surprised that the handle makes a difference in cost. I thought the yo style would be more, just seems like it would be more work, but guess not!

If you're open to a western handle, then I'd say spend some time looking though Bernal Cutlery's inventory. There's some good deals to be found.

It's standard advice, but also very much where I started and often how I still approach these things :) consider giving Jon and his staff a call at Japanese Knife Imports. I have not used one, and it is SS, but high Gesshin Stainless seems so very nice for the money - you'll know that the finish is exceptional based on JKI's standards and design involvement. My Yanagi is from JKI's Gesshin Uraku White #2 line and it is just about a perfect blend of design, finish, sharpenability, and cost for me. The Gesshin Uraku 210mm White #2 kurouchi wa-Gyuto is currently in stock at $175, for example. There are lots of other options for overall design and geometry in the $150-200 range as well.

I have one Japanese knife, a nakiri is aogami steel, which I really like and I want to add a gyoto now. Budget is low, but I don't know enough about makers and knives to know what's a good deal and what's crap. Was going to post on the Buy/Sell forum to see if anyone had something not getting enough use, but not enough posts (yet).

Here's what I'm thinking:
210mm or 240mm
Japanese handle
Would prefer more of a rounded than flat profile as I do some rocking as well as chopping
For steel, I would prefer not SS, since I've enjoyed having something different in my nakiri. The aogami seems great so far
In USA

Please let me know what makers or shops you would recommend. Also happy to get something that's second hand (if well cared for), open box, returns, etc.

Thanks for the help and all the great info around the site!

I know you mentioned carbon, but if you're open to SS, you may want to look at Shun—more of a rounded profile; just a hair over your budget.
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...MI98bfn5u39wIV4gaICR1cpgfBEAQYAiABEgLIjPD_BwE

Back