Help me choose a knife …

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Jeff

Reaction score
1. Looking for about 180-210 mm w/ some belly for a little rocking, bit I push cut too.

2. mono steel or clad but I want a reactive steel so I can patina it.

3. I want the sides textured … hammered deeply

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

Reaction score
Any other criteria?

Hinoura does an ironclad white2 kurochi hammered.

I’m open on other criteria.

I suppose I prefer a traditional wa handle over a western handle.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should fill this out if you’d like better targeted responses otherwise people don’t know if you want to spend $100 or $1000, or what your preferences are.

chefwp

Timing is everything when doing a raindance
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that you will get better responses once you fill out the questionaire, until then I will dangle this out there.

Ashi Ginga White #2 Gyuto 210mm

This is a monosteel blade, very reactive, but a great performer. They might be tough to find in stock, but if you are patient, I'm sure they will return, maybe reach out to Bernal or CKC to see if they have an ETA.

ashi.JPG

Reaction score
Não Yamamoto does a pretty cool hammered finish. You could rock chop a bit with this profile and I found his super blue to take a great edge. This is not a laser by any means, has a bit more heft to it

timebard

Reaction score
A little further up the price range, a Shihan in 52100 mono has a great hammered finish. Will patina but a little slower/calmer than iron clad or white #2 mono, which is a feature in my book. Good workhorse but very different from something like a Ginga.

Jeff

Reaction score
You should fill this out if you’d like better targeted responses otherwise people don’t know if you want to spend $100 or $1000, or what your preferences are.

Thx- I had trouble with that. I think Most was covered except cost … That is flexible.