Help me choose a second hand ~240mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Kitchen knife gurus, please help me choose a second hand larger gyuto!

I've been cruising the for sale ads and noticed that there are a fair amount of 240mm + gyutos out there that are looking for a new home, but I can't decide between them. So I'm looking for a recommendation. I've filled out the questionnaire below. My current knives are as follows:

shibata kotetsu bunka (R2) - I love this knife, takes an edge super easily, but sometimes it's bit short
macusta damascus 210mm gyuto (VG10) - My first purchase. It's light and versatile, nice to hold but not quite tall enough sometimes
I've got a petty and a veg cleaver, but I hardly ever use them

Sometimes when cooking a larger amount of food, I feel like a larger / longer chef's knife would be useful. Especially when making kimchi and the mountain of garlic that goes into that! It's going to be a bit of home kitchen queen, and only get used now and then. But it *will* get used, I don't believe in knives as ornaments.

A note about sharpening: I do my own sharpening on synthetic stones and a leather strop. I've got good enough to get a decent edge on my knives, but not quite razor sharp (I can't get mine hair shaving sharp). I don't know if that is the steel or my technique. While I find my R2 bunka easier to raise burrs with, I am curious about the experience of sharpening a high carbon steel knife. I don't know much about the different high carbon steels to decide between them.

Regarding surface finish, I plan at some point to learn how to hand polish blades.

Regarding character. I prefer the idea of a second hand knife, as they have a story. Minor imperfections or other unusual features or customizations appeal to me.

Thanks!!!

Switzerland (but I'm happy to buy internationally and cover the additional shipping)

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto / chef's knife

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? As long as it isn't boring black plastic I don't mind

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? more than ~240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) I don'`t mind

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? ~400 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) - veg and soft proteins

What knife, if any, are you replacing? This will be my first knife in this size

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) - I grip the handle, I don't have fingers on the spine or blade.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) - push, chop, draw

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) - mainly just something bigger

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I like most finishes that have shine of some kind. In other words, not Kurouchi.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I like lighter knives, and rounded / polished finishes on the choil / spine etc

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? I sharpen my own knives, so a nice ability to take an edge would be great

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? It doesn't have to be amazing, as I won't use it frequently and I can sharpen strop it myself

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) I already have some

1. May save you money on shipping.
2. This is just a compilation of where our friends has shopped.
3. If it's a Stainless steel I recommend Kobayashi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-100244_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-100244_Facebook.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 59
The amount of knives offered within the EU isn't that big. So I'd consider keeping 'brand new' within your realm of options. Since you're in Switzerland that might actually be a benefit; I think some EU shops will allow you to buy from them without paying the taxes.

I think you should talk with @RockyBasel who also lives in Switzerland and see if you could try out some of his knives. He has a wonderful collection and can probably give you lots of relevant advice.

While I can often buy from shops online without paying tax at source, I get taxed at my end for import duties. It's the same for second hand purchases, eg from the US. So it really makes no difference to me getting new or second hand.

Regardless of the source, I still am not sure what to look for.

Back