Help me decide in between a selection of knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon.B

Reaction score

UK

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 (can do slightly less) or 240

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, but I own carbon already and I'd like to try some semi or powder

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

300£

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

These days I primarily cut veggies of any kind but I also trim and slice meat and cut down chicken. I do some fish filleting once in a while.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Will be an addition to the family

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

I'm originally a rocker but I'm comfortable with any type of cutting.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

It's not really a matter of improvements. I'd like something light and well balanced tho.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I don't have a clear preference but for this one I prefer no damascus

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

It has to be comfortable with good F&F

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

If it's sharp OOTB I appreciate it. Since I'm looking for thin I don't expect the best food release but a bit of convexity goes a long way.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Decent

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes, but I'm just ok on my best day

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes. I own sharpening products but there's room for improvement

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I filled up the questionnaire but I have some options already. These choices are based on proximity and availability. I'm always open to suggestions.
Konosuke. I can get GS+, HD2 and YS-M
Yoshikane. I'm a fan of nashiji and the skd version is beautiful. I could also consider the white#2 SS clad.
Nigara. SG2 kurouchi. I kinda prefer it to the version without kuro. it's a less discussed brand but I talked with people that own it and they have nothing but positive things to say.
I'm aware these choices are also based on looks but I'm asking for some performance feedback. Thank you in advance.

I was in a fairly similar position to you a few weeks ago. I went with the yoshikane skd via cleancut (konosuke ys-m). I can say that the finish is arguably nicer in real life than photos, those circular stamps in some photos look very bland but in real life it’s very elegant.

I would say it doesn’t have the thinness of traditional lasers (eg Takamura R2) but the good distal taper and grind mean it cuts just as well without the potential laser downsides (eg bendiness). It does cut through everything well and haven’t noticed any downsides but I mostly cut vegetables and haven’t exactly pushed the knife to its limits yet.

It might be my slippy chopping board but I didn’t manage to get any of those show-off one handed slivers of tomato cuts, but still yet to give it a go on the stones as OOTB was sharp and is still sharp.

Overall I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
PS: have heard good things about the Toyamas on JNS and I would all those to your list

Can I ask you about the yoshi grind and flat spot? I believe they tend to have a big flat spot but I could be wrong.
PS: have heard good things about the Toyamas on JNS and I would all those to your list
I can confirm. My Toyama is pretty awesome. I own a 240 SS clad and I'm happy with it. I was looking for something lighter to diversify. It's not heavy by any means and has a versatile profile but I want to try a different blade.

Konosuke YS-M is not the same knife as the Yoshi SKD from Cleancut. Apart from the finish it also differs slightly in parameters but has Yoshi DNA.
Yoshis are overall quite flat, not the greatest for rocking.
Kaeru White could also be an option, also quite flat profile but better suited for the occasional rock, also has great fit and finish apart from the handle.
Quite a lot of people like HD2, as laserish but not really laser and quite robust, would prefer it over the GS+.
Before getting to the end my recs would have been Yoshi but moreso the Kaeru, and Nigara. I haven't tried the Nigara yet but have been fancying over them for some time and some months ago they became available in Europe.
Another one would have been Sukenari SG2 but they aren't available right now and might be already too heavy for your search.

I checked the Kaeru already and as much as I reckon it's a good purchase I need something more aesthetically pleasing without compromising performance. I might buy 2 and return or sell one but I'm afraid that I won't be able to let one go if I have them in my hands..
Another one would have been Sukenari SG2 but they aren't available right now and might be already too heavy for your search.
Believe me, Sukenari's were in the mix (the Aogami Super Clad looks slick) but I had to narrow the field..

Oh sorry team, I didn't realise Yoshikane SKD and the Konosuke were different, they look so similar! Either way, if interested in the Yoshikane I put pics up in the 'show me your latest knife' thread.

May I ask what you would imagine using this new knife for that you wouldn't reach for your Toyama?

I use knives in rotation or following the spur of the moment.
I also think I'll almost surely buy a 210 instead of a 240. Two days ago I had to prep a lot of veggies and then leave the house fast. I went back to my kitchen days and simply cut more food at the same time to speed up the all thing. My Toyama was up to the task. I don't particularly like the term, but it is a workhorse (even if not in the "classical" meaning). If I don't need to rush it and in necessity of a more precise cutter I can go with what I'm going to buy next. Said that, you can definitely do refined work with the Toyama couse in a way it is a precise cutter..;)
Basically the reason why I buy knives even if I don't strictly need them is.. I like knives..:cool:

Do you use just one knife or you rotate like me even if unnecessary?

Thank you very much for your response guys! I have a Yoshi SKD coming in hopefully a couple of days.
I might be tempted buying the Nigara SG2 to have a comparative friendly fight between blades but I'll wait for the Yoshi to arrive first and decide.
I'd like to try a Kono at some point tho. I'm really curious and they're time is gonna come!

For what it's worth, have read an abundance of comments that the Yoshi SKD is excellent, personally I don't have a single complaint apart from the k-tip looking a tiny bit fragile but I knew that from the beginning.

Do you use just one knife or you rotate like me even if unnecessary?

So I'm relatively new to the whole knife obsession and I've completely fallen head first, there's no way back now!

I'm currently looking for a knife that will compliment the Yoshi SKD, which, from what I understand, could be classed somewhere between middleweight to laser, with the overall consensus being that it cuts almost like a laser. With that in mind, I would be way too hesitant to go anywhere near a squash or pumpkin or hard cabbage so am looking for a knife to complement it, to do those harder jobs. So with that said, do you think the Toyama would be a good choice for that? I'm looking to spend anywhere in that 200-400 region... Or I could do what everyone seems to do here and buy a TF denka .... it's hard not to be compelled by all the momentum that knife has around here!!!

So I'm relatively new to the whole knife obsession and I've completely fallen head first, there's no way back now!
Welcome to the dark side! I can relate, it's gonna be fun!

I'm no expert by any means but I can vouch for Toyama's knives based on my singular experience (I'm sure I'm not the only one). Great cutter and great profile. It certainly can be considered a workhorse but it's quite an hazy term. My Toyama is less delicate than most but I don't abuse it. If I know I really have to abuse the knife (and I mean really) I use my Zwilling but in fairness doesn't happen a lot.
Regarding the Denka I'm not the right person to help you.. you can find plenty information and loooong discussions all over this forum even if you are not looking for them.. :D I'm building my opinion but I've never held one in my hand. Hope it makes sense.

For what it's worth, have read an abundance of comments that the Yoshi SKD is excellent, personally I don't have a single complaint apart from the k-tip looking a tiny bit fragile but I knew that from the beginning.

I'm currently looking for a knife that will compliment the Yoshi SKD, which, from what I understand, could be classed somewhere between middleweight to laser, with the overall consensus being that it cuts almost like a laser. With that in mind, I would be way too hesitant to go anywhere near a squash or pumpkin or hard cabbage so am looking for a knife to complement it, to do those harder jobs. So with that said, do you think the Toyama would be a good choice for that? I'm looking to spend anywhere in that 200-400 region... Or I could do what everyone seems to do here and buy a TF denka .... it's hard not to be compelled by all the momentum that knife has around here!!!

For what its worth, my yoshikane 240 in white 2 is my absolute favorite knife for butternut squash and sweet potatoes. The thin grind is great for not wedging much in dense produce. I haven't tried the skd version but imagine it's similar.

Back