Help me discover the Japanese knives I have!?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aljazz

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and was hoping I could appeal to some knowledge and investigative wisdom from more experience folks on the forum.

Last year in November I was on a two week visit to Japan and on my very last day (in Kyoto) I had a sudden urge to purchase some kitchen knives from one of the knife shops in Kyoto. Someone had recommended Hayakawa cutlery near Nishiki market to me, so I visited and picked up a Santoku and Nakiri. Very happy with the knives but unfortunately the chap at the store (the son, the owner wasn't around unfortunately) was unable to tell me the maker of the knives. I've been having a blast cooking with them, very happy with both, but I'd love to know if anyone recognizes the brand or knows enough Japanese to help translate the characters.

Some notes: both knives are medium quality (purchased for around $110 per knife). Both are double bevelled and subtly tapered towards the point and the blade edge.

I believe this is the knife maker's brand.

I suspect the left side engraving is the name of Hayakawa Cutlery

The scales are some type of cured wood but I’m not sure which.
The bolster is a decorative red resin/waxed wood of some type
The oval handle has an interesting shape to, not octagonal and not purely ovalm with a raised edge on the outside right of each knife (I assume to aid with grip)

Appreciate any help with this!

Al

I can't view any of the pictures

I can't view any of the pictures

Sorry about that. Looks like I had the view permissions on the album to Owner. Have just changed it and hopefully images should be viewable now.

The left side of the Santoku says Ikigai 生き甲斐 which roughly translates to "reason for living". The right side says Nobuhisa
信久 which is the brand name coming from the founder Hayakawa Nobuhisa 早川 信久.
The left side of the Usuba says Wabisabi 侘寂. I'm not going to bother explaining that but you can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
I'm not sure why these words/phrases are engraved into the left side. Did you request these?

The left side of the Santoku says Ikigai 生き甲斐 which roughly translates to "reason for living". The right side says Nobuhisa
信久 which is the brand name coming from the founder Hayakawa Nobuhisa 早川 信久.
The left side of the Usuba says Wabisabi 侘寂. I'm not going to bother explaining that but you can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
I'm not sure why these words/phrases are engraved into the left side. Did you request these?

Thank you so much for the response. This makes so much sense! I left my wife in the shop whilst I picked something up from Nishiki market and I just confirmed with her that she requested both Ikigai and Wabisabi on the Santoki and Nakiri respectively. And she never told me! o_O That certainly helps clear things up.

@KenHash Do you have any idea if what the symbol above tang says? Pasted below again.

I am not sure what that mark represents. The character is 秀 usually read "Hide" in names. Maybe the forge?
Is that mark on both knives?

I am not sure what that mark represents. The character is 秀 usually read "Hide" in names. Maybe the forge?
Is that mark on both knives?

Interesting KenHash. Yes, the mark is on both knives. I did a little research and it looks like there is a knife sharpener who stamps blades with Hide. (https://www.sakaiknife.com/special.asp?id=yamamoto). However, those knives look very different to mine (and higher quality than mine)

I did a bit more searching using some of the key words from this discussion and came up with the following site, which look incredibly similar to mine: https://www.japanny.com/collections/nao-yamamoto. Apparently uses a different inscription but looks very similar, even the unusual oval handle with raised edge.

The sakaiknife.com is probably not the one as they use the kanji 英 rather than 秀. Both can be read as "Hide".

Back