Help me find a Damascus knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstl87

Reaction score
Hi all looking for suggestions for a few knives. My priorities are aesthetics, preferably Damascus. I am really liking the look of Miyabi knives (ex Hibana) but wondering if there are other brands to consider. Thank you!

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Santoku, gyuto, nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Around 7-8” for santoku or gyuto

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes or low maintenance carbon

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
No limit

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing, chopping, mincing vegetables, trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Aesthetics are priority. Damascus. Would also like handle to be beautiful. Good fit and finish overall

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
lighter preferred

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Sometimes. Have stones but haven’t mastered sharpening

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMEN

black lotus would be on my list if looking for a custom. tanaka ironwood otherwise
Not a bad idea, here are my two.
001-1.jpg
002.jpg

To the OP - R you looking specifically for something forged or would stock removal be acceptable (thinking makers who work with Damasteel ... etc.)?
I haven’t heard of damasteel. Open to either as I am not familiar with the non forged option.

I think Shig Kitaeji is not a bad knife at 1,500 - the JNS 270 mm Shig Kitaeji was about 1,600 on the site last week

Tsoukasa Hinoura Damascus

On the Swedish side, tobbe Lund storm is quite good

And of course, my all time favorite unobtanium - Kiyoshi Kato Kikuryu

For something readily available, and excellent in the kitchen - Toyama Damascus and Y Tanaka damascus at JNS - and the latter at K&S

I think Shig Kitaeji is not a bad knife at 1,500 - the JNS 270 mm Shig Kitaeji was about 1,600 on the site last week

Tsoukasa Hinoura Damascus

On the Swedish side, tobbe Lund storm is quite good

And of course, my all time favorite unobtanium - Kiyoshi Kato Kikuryu

For something readily available, and excellent in the kitchen - Toyama Damascus and Y Tanaka damascus at JNS - and the latter at K&S
Thank you for these suggestions and in particular for the readily available ones. I am hoping to get something soon and it looks like it can be pretty hard to get one’s hands on these higher end knives.

Aesthetics are priority. Damascus. Would also like handle to be beautiful. Good fit and finish overall
@rstl87 - You're in the US. Depending on where, there are plenty of local/regional makers out there who do stunning work. I could name 5 or 6 here in the PNW (Portland and Seattle) who do comparable stuff but don't have world wide names, especially if you have no budget. A lot of the guys I know offer a 100% guarantee on their blades. And being local, the service might be quicker. Why not support a local maker?

Like this one, will look in more detail. I also came across the Takamura Hana in my research last night. Looks sold out everywhere but is a gorgeous knife. Anyone have experience with this?
You can only find the takamura Hana on European websites, but some don’t deliver to the US and other countries. And it’s only in 210 mm

Back