Help me pick a deba pls

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
So, my new project will be getting a deba. Please find below the questionnaire.

KNIFE TYPE
I'm interested in a deba (single bevel most likely)

I'm right handed.

No preference for either Western handle (e.g. the Misono Swedish) or Japanese handle.

Length of knife (blade): 165mm or 180mm.

No requirement for a stainless knife.

Maximum budget is around 350 euro.

KNIFE USE
Home environment.

Main tasks: filleting fish and to some extent chopping through lighter bones

No replacement, this will be my first deba.

No particular grip that I primarily use.

Characteristics that I would like this knife to have: should be tough, not too thin, classic deba shape.

Aesthetics: no requirements.

Comfort: would prefer good handle material and handle shape.

Ease of Use: would like something that is easy to use and to sharpen. No issues with a reactive steel.

Edge Retention: ideally long.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
I use a wooden and rubber/synthetic cutting board.

I sharpen my own knives.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'm an EU consumer so preferably an EU shop. That said, I've looked around and don't see lots of choice. I now have a positive buying experience with Japanese Chefs Knife so that would be a suitable shop too. In fact, I've been looking into the Masamoto KS and Mizuno Tanrenjo blue #1 and #2 debas. Would like to hear from people using one of these? Knivesandstones Australia should be okay too (though I see their Mazakis are sold out at the moment).

Particularly interested in views regarding blade size length (165 vs 180) and blue versus white for a deba. Thanks!

Last edited:
I only have the one deba and just started using it and learning the technique; it’s a Mumei 180mm mioroshi in yellow steel. I’m currently quite happy with it for large salmon (say 8-10lb), what sort of fish are you processing with it? Can’t speak to white vs blue for this but either Masamoto or Mizuno should be a good reliable choice and I’d have trouble choosing between the two.

Talk to Koki from JCK or Jon from JKI, they can help you find what you need.

Thanks everyone. So far I'm leaning towards a white #2 Masamoto KS. I know they have supposedly a bit of a hype factor but it ticks all boxes including being able to get a marble ferrule.

Any opinion on 165mm versus 180mm? I'm looking at my 165mm Mune petty and would think that is too small, but then a 180mm is going to lean towards proper gyuto size. So far 180mm seems a safe bet for a variety of fish sizes.

Took delivery of the Masamoto KS 180mm deba last Monday. Wow! :)

A few observations.

I wouldn't go any bigger than 180mm for a home cook. I already think this might be a tad too big for smaller fish, but then I can always use a petty for that purpose. Knowing that smaller fish typically have softer bones.

This thing is so sharp it actually cuts through the leather of my Piotr rack! I have to turn the knife on the rack in order to protect the leather. I have never experienced this sharpness before.

This is my second Masamoto KS, the first being a 250mm sujihiki. For the suji I upgraded the handle to an octagonal, at the cost of 62 euro extra. For the deba I took the standard d-shaped handle. Imho the upgrade is worth it: Masamoto's upgraded handles are top notch. No issues because I still love the deba, but perhaps useful for any prospective buyers out there.
1E235A67-7453-4679-80D2-473039644649.jpeg

I often use a Masamoto 165 KA. I have used it to break down fish up to 80cm in length without feeling I needed more blade length. So I think you are probably right. Personally I find it easier to break down a large fish with a smaller deba, than to break down a small fish with a bigger deba. But that's just me.

Back