help me pick some knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kool-aid

Reaction score
So I was lucky enough to find some spare change lying around and feel like its a good time to upgrade my gear. My roll right now is fairly boring and useless beside a miyabi and a konosuke hd. anyways...

my budget is right around $500 with some wiggle room and the knives need to be able to handle full time in a professional kitchen. So far I was thinking either a sakai usuke or a konosuke white #2 (i love my hd) for a straight carbon gyuto, a hiromoto AS gyuto since they seem to be pretty popular. I also was considering buying a suji like the fujiwara FKH but I'm not so sure i will ever actually use one. any thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears here :D

How about the Devin Thomas Mid-Tech Carbon? You already have one Konosuke so why not try something different?

How about the Devin Thomas Mid-Tech Carbon? You already have one Konosuke so why not try something different?
I did look at those and I'm extremely tempted but I kind of feel like I should buy a few mid range knives vs buying one more expensive knife. and the konosuke is more of a vanilla option for me

I think you should rely give the DT ITK some serious thought. This is a knife that will not be available long term, and owning one will give you a great deal of pleasure down the road. It would become a standard that all of your future knife purchases would be judged against. I bought a Takeda gyuto as my first quality knife and I love it dearly, but if I had waited longer before pulling the trigger there is no doubt in my mind that I would have a Thomas knife now.
Now I have to make the knives that I want to keep peace in the house!

Here is another idea:

Heiji 240 Guyto SS - Jon is taking orders :)

This would be an excellent choice. It's a very good, albeit sturdier cutter, semistainless with wa stainless cladding. The handle is ridged wood so the grip is good. This knife flat out rocks and you already have the thin blades covered anyway.

Guys, blowing all his money on one knife. Knife addicts. He wanted to get 2 or 3 knives.

Kool-aid, the Konosuke White should be okay in a pro environment. Once you get a good patina, it'll hold up well.

Another choice is a Ichimonji TKC @ CKTG, it's semi stainless, but I think the Konosuke White is a better bang for the buck.

Jay

The konosuke is a beautiful, no bling knife. The performance is amazing!
The thing cuts like a demon and I haven't had any transference issues whatsoever. White steel has really impressed me in the short time I've gotten to use it.
Sharp FAST! Holds it's edge really well. Seems to be a less worry carbon, to me.
I think you'd be very happy with the Konosuke white 2.

Back