Help Me Solve My 240 Gyuto Conundrum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man this is absolutely perfect. I'm annoyed I already ordered the 240 Kochi gyuto but I need this in my life, stainless blue #2 is so nice to me. Any idea on taper/edge thickness before I spend an hour hunting for pics online?
Only the tang is stainless. Thin near the edge. Some meat at the spine. It's kind of like a rustic version of Yoshikane. The stock handle is very 😬
PXL_20221030_182543720.MP.jpg

PXL_20221030_192747094.MP.jpg

And the tang is super long for some reason 🤷‍♂️
How did they get the tang stainless without the cladding being stainless? Seems hard to forge but I'm no blacksmith.

My blessed Shindo gyuto had a silly long tang, I had to grind it down to rehandle it with an XL handle so at least I've got experience dealing with that. Thanks for the pics, quite reasonable prices at this site.

Any issues with micro chipping? Someone on reddit mentioned that being an issue.
I haven't had any issues with chipping.
How did they get the tang stainless without the cladding being stainless? Seems hard to forge but I'm no blacksmith.

My blessed Shindo gyuto had a silly long tang, I had to grind it down to rehandle it with an XL handle so at least I've got experience dealing with that. Thanks for the pics, quite reasonable prices at this site.
They weld the tang onto the blade.

The tang is kind of skinny, a hacksaw and about 5 minutes worked for me.

More stout than my Kurosaki Senko. Mine is stainless clad. Fairly thick spine. Weighs in at 210 g. My lightest 240mm gyuto (Makoto Kurosaki Sakura) weighs in at 154 g. True Laser!

Last edited:
Workhorse as in "can take some abuse and do it all" or workhorse grind? I had the impression these were quite laserish.

The factory edge of mine was brittle AF, and had a pretty "rustic" grind. I ended up having to grind ~ 2-3 mm off the edge to fix the grind issues, and i left it a bit thicker at the edge to compensate for the brittle edge.

For what it's worth I think it is worthy to try different knives, while Kobayashi are good with dense ingredients, I find workhorses and medium grind excel at everything else and much more comfortable to use. Kochi is actually more of a medium weight with laser grind.
As a little update, I did wind up with a Kochi 240 ironclad. I absolutely love it, thank you for the suggestion. It very quickly became my go-to knife.

Back