Help me specify my Isasmedjan custom gyuto!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knivperson

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Soon Jonas from Isasmedjan will make me a custom knife. Id like to hear your thoughts on my wish list of specifications.

How I use and maintain knives:
I mostly chop, push or pull cut. I can sharpen myself, so edge retention isnt a problem.

Ive thought about the following:

255 mm
56 mm
Around 4,5 mm above the heel with aggressive distal taper.
Profile kinda like masamoto ks, with a laser thin tip for ghosting onions and the like. Convex grind. Tip shouldnt be too high, no higher than mid heel, and the edge with a subtle curve that will look almost flat, like the KS. Balance point at pinch grip or slightly in front of it.

A go-mai construction with a some hard carbon steel core of Jonas recommendation and preference, an in between layer of nickel (inspired by the Xerxes drop) and wrought iron cladding. Of course with Viking kanji and, in the theme, ash wood burl (ash like yggdrasil😁), maybe with a small copper ferrule.

Of course Ill ask for nice fit and finish with rounded choil and spine etc.

Any thoughts on this?
What would you adjust? This is my first custom, and Im super excited. ❤😁

Last edited:
Hss and m2 are steels? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Would a copper or bronze ferrule match ash best? Im looking for a japanese performer with some nordic aesthetics.

Haha oh now I get it. Okay I just thought of wrought iron because a lot of his knives in this are beautiful. Maybe your right, and with so much going on with the blade, maybe a clean wood handle would be best. Maybe even just plain ash. I thought of maybe suggesting Jonas to use some local swedish core iron and wood. But the core I will let him choose, he is the expert on what he heat treats the best.

Haha oh now I get it. Okay I just thought of wrought iron because a lot of his knives in this are beautiful. Maybe your right, and with so much going on with the blade, maybe a clean wood handle would be best. Maybe even just plain ash. I thought of maybe suggesting Jonas to use some local swedish core iron and wood. But the core I will let him choose, he is the expert on what he heat treats the best.
Good call! And I agree on wrought iron!

Btw If I where to get Jonas to make me something, handle wise I would go for stacked birch bark! Apart from looks insanely good feel in hand, and will outlast the blade!

I dislike metal spacers with wood btw, and would advice to steer clear 🤗

Is that an aesthetic thing, or some other reason? My own favourite look is wood - metal -horn. Though I'd certainly agree that Jonas' one-piece wood handles are so gorgeous that I'd definitely go for one straight up.

Is that an aesthetic thing, or some other reason? My own favourite look is wood - metal -horn. Though I'd certainly agree that Jonas' one-piece wood handles are so gorgeous that I'd definitely go for one straight up.
For me both look and feel.

Sounds like you want Jonas to do his version of KS for you. For handle, I would go for what Robin said, stacked birch bark

Back