Help picking a Gyuto :)

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Dochas, Feb 13, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 13, 2019 #1

Dochas

Dochas

Dochas

Let's get the questions out of the way and then I'll talk about what I'm looking at.

KNIFE TYPE
    Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle or Japanese handle?
    Japanese handle only.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    I think 210mm is the best fit for small Korean kitchens.

Do you require a stainless knife?
    No, carbon or stainless clad, but no full stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $200, if that $200 can also include the shipping to Korea, even better.

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for.
    Onions, green onions, potatoes, zucchini and lots of meat (mostly pork/beef) make up most of my cutting, with some fresh pineapple, carrots, tofu, asian pears and radishes being fairly common as well.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    Not exactly replacing. I use a Tanaka nakiri or petty for most things, for bigger things I occasionally have to use my old Wusthof chefs knife that is mainly my wife's knife now.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
    Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
    Almost all push, with a little draw and slicing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
    Better Aesthetics
    The Tanakas I have are great, but they are the basic ones from MM, with the cheap handles and plastic ferrule. Absolutely no plastic ferrules, I want a decent handle. I really like nashiji finishes, and to a bit lesser extent kurochi finishes.

Ease of Use
    Prefer a knife that doesn't wedge too much. Also one with a bit of a flatter profile since I mostly push cut. A nice OOTB edge is a bonus, but I can sharpen myself.

Edge Retention and Comfort
    Edge retention and comfort are not that important. Octagonal handle and rounded choil/spine would be a nice bonus, but not enough for me to choose one knife over another. I'm only cooking for 2, and only twice a week on average because of schedule, so I'm not spending hours at a time chopping.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
    Yes, I use a silicon board right now, looking to upgrade to a nice wood one it the not too distant future.

Do you sharpen your own knives?
    Yes. Shapton 320, King 1k and a Suehiro 5k.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I had originally been looking at the Masakage Yuki, and almost purchased it. I love the look, and all of the Masakages seem to be made pretty well. I heard about Knifewears yearly sale so I waited. Now I'm having some second thoughts because I have seen some reviews talking about inconsistent grinds. Some have a nice gradual progression from the thin edge to the thicker spine. Others seem to have a pretty large shoulder 1/3rd of the way up or so that leads to a lot of wedging complaints.

So I have a few options now to think about.
    1. Stick with the Yuki. Cross my fingers for one with a good grind since I love the look.

2. Syousin Chiku KU Gyuto 210mm Aogami Super - This looks like it has a good grind? It's a Kurosaki and what reviews I have found seem good, its Aogami Super and it has a nice octagonal handle. The unique hammer pattern is an added bonus.

3. Go back to Tanaka. My only complaint with Tanaka has been the handles, and if I go to KnS I can get upgraded handles with either his damascus (to keep it the same as my other two) or he has nashiji finish as an option too.
    I like the Tanakas I have but felt like I should branch out, maybe try a new type of steel. I would consider some other options, but I'm already having trouble deciding with just three on the table.

Thanks for any input!

2. Feb 13, 2019 #2

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

Consider KNS verion of Tanaka Ginsan, for sure...but its not normally considered "flat profile."

3. Feb 13, 2019 #3

Dochas

Dochas

Dochas

Yeah... I guess that's the other concern with sticking with Tanaka. I think it has the least flatness out of the three.

4. Feb 13, 2019 #4

Wasabi_GL

Wasabi_GL

Wasabi_GL

Supporting Member

JNS mazaki 210 gyuto or Toyama 210

5. Feb 13, 2019 #5

Maccne0718

Maccne0718

Maccne0718

Munetoshi gyuto is also in your range

Wasabi_GL likes this.
  6. Feb 13, 2019 #6

Wasabi_GL

Wasabi_GL

Wasabi_GL

Supporting Member

7. Feb 13, 2019 #7

refcast

refcast

refcast

Yeah, I'd also recommend Munetoshi.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/
    (1) $151 US, free shipping (over 1000 DDK, this costs 1000 DDK)
    (2) one of the flattest gyuto and least angled profile out there
    (3) super good edge retention and toughness for carbon steel (I hear)
    (4) buffalo/horn D handle
    (5) kurouchi/nashiji finish
    (6) one guy does both forging and sharpening, (and maybe even handle installations, not sure) so there's better quality control (at least in this case comparison)

Wasabi_GL likes this.
  8. Feb 13, 2019 #8

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

How about Yoshikane, SKD is a bit above $200 but Shirogami is in your budget.

Edit: and Munetoshi is very good too, good grind, great edge retention for white. Taller while Yoshi is lower

9. Feb 13, 2019 #9

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

I have used and like Tanaka Nashiji (KNS handles are good), Kurosaki AS and Yoshikane SKD (white also said to be good). Also worth looking at Wakui. The hammered version is a beefy knife with very good food release, the polished version is said to be much thinner. All of these knives are great value for money.

Also woth looking at the Shiro Kamo Ku AS. Not stainless clad. I only have a suji so can't comment on the gyuto grind but the steel has good edge retention and is easy to make very sharp. Mine is from KnS. Unsure whether the Cleancut versions are the same.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. Feb 13, 2019 #10

Dochas

Dochas

Dochas

The Munetoshi is really making the decision more difficult. The handle/finish is less fancy and it's not as pretty, but lots of good reviews about its performance and that is a mighty fine price! The profile really seems to fit as well, something that the Tanaka definitely doesn't have going for it. I don't know if I can pass on the Munetoshi for that price + free shipping + all the positive reviews I've seen here.

Some of the others mentioned are a bit out of my budget (Toyama and Mazaki, although the Mazaki is just a bit over and has free shipping, could maybe swing that if it was in stock) The Wakui too, the hammered looks really nice, but its just a little over the budget while also being a little under the free shipping limit :(

11. Feb 13, 2019 #11

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

I also vouch for Munetoshi, the steel is great. I know you might not be looking at stainless, but the JNS Kaeru is also very nice knife for the price, stainless clad SLD (Semi-Stainless). I have a MM Tanaka KU B2 Gyuto, and I find hard to upgrade to another Gyuto as there's very little I don't like about it. Another knife worth looking at is the Ashi/Gesshin Ginga, 210 in white#2, they are light, agile, lasery knives. Jon of JKI recently even mentioned in his ask anything video that of all the knives he's owns (I imagine it's a lot) the Ginga was his most reached for knife.

12. Feb 13, 2019 #12

Dochas

Dochas

Dochas

A while back I was actually looking at the Ginga, as I originally was thinking of something lasery. Ordering directly from Japan is a short trip and puts it well under my budget. But from what I understand lasers have a lot of trouble with food sticking? I originally liked the idea of a thin light knife after coming from heavy Wustofs, and I've heard of some wedging with the Munetoshi, but the Ginga seems to go in the opposite direction.

/edit I didn't realize you can't direct order anymore. That puts the JKI version up on the block which is a good $100 premium + shipping, putting it well over my budget.

13. Feb 13, 2019 #13

tongas

tongas

tongas

Supporting Member

Hum, Kaeru 210 is currently out of stock.
    But buying it and a 165 Munetoshi petty would be 204$ shipped.
    You could have and try two different steels ,staying in your budget window. The Munetoshi petty is quite a small gyuto .
    210 and 165 would overlapp well and are good sizes in small kitchen.
    Both would sell well in case you're not happy with .

I own both , small hobbit kitchen, and won't sell them !

14. Feb 13, 2019 #14

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

That is a great idea, but I was under the impression the OP already has a Tanaka Nakiri and petty, so a Mune165 would probably overlap a bit for him.

15. Feb 13, 2019 #15

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

You can buy ginga from blueway japan via e-bay, the 200 x 43 is almost a large petty
    but can still be a very versatile size if you are ok adapting to the blade...

something like a Mazaki 210mm nominal is really
    220 x 50mm for example from CKTG @ $190 in KU finish
    and is alot more knife if you want more...

16. Feb 14, 2019 #16

vicv

vicv

vicv

How about the jck deep impact? It's in your price range, AS at 65 Rockwell, and a darn nice knife. I love mine my favorite gyuto

17. Feb 14, 2019 #17

Dochas

Dochas

Dochas

That is correct, have the smaller stuff covered, just need something a bit longer and multipurpose!

A quick look at the site and it looks like that is western handle only? I find those far less comfortable and heavier than Japanese handles, so I wouldn't want anything without a Japanese handle option.

That is actually worth considering too. If it's an American vendor, as long as it stays under 200, I have a reshipping service I use that can get it here for $10 instead of the $40-50 most of the vendors charge and I won't get import taxed.
    The Mazaki is at the top of my budget, but that is fine. How does it compare to the Munetoshi?

I'm also a little worried about the KU finish. In another thread it was mentioned that the Munetoshi is really weak and comes off just when towel drying. I kind of like the look of KU finish, but I would prefer something a little sturdier that isn't leaving a mess everywhere. How is the Mazaki KU finish?

18. Feb 14, 2019 #18

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

There's a huge thread on Mazaki...alot of people are having great success with the knifes.

That 220mm for under $200 I think is the best deal on a major / prep/ workhorse type knife
    I've seen anywhere recently...

KU helps keep the iron cladding calmed down and less reactive than otherwise.
    The munetoshi IIRC had a reputation for losing its KU...I think thats maker specific.

May want to ask around a bit more in other threads,
    neither of these knives have I personally used.

19. Feb 14, 2019 #19

Dochas

Dochas

Dochas

I appreciate your input, I'll have to read through that very long Mazaki thread. Not too big of a price increase if it's a better knife, and it has a nice octagonal handle as a bonus :)