HELP! Such a newbie.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDCwrites

Reaction score
Wowza! I think this might be more involved than when I bought my last car. lol Anyway, new here and needing all kinds of advice on where to start and how.

USA > Louisiana

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Looking to replace all my current Calphalon block set knives that we've taken care of and are still sharp over 13 years later.
Would like to start with a chef's knife, utility knife, slicer

Are you right or left handed?
righty tighties

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I'll be honest. I haven't held the Japanese handle to know if I'd prefer it. Used to Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I think 8" blades would be a good place to start

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Absolutely not

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I'm looking to replace with quality knives that can last longer. I don't mind buying slowly. However, to start with, I likely wouldn't buy a knife over $300 until I know of its value to me.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Different knives are for different purposes. I wouldn't use a chef's knife for trimming meat as I wouldn't use a fillet knife to mince garlic. Not sure what this question is asking. I would use the right knife required for the cutting job I need.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
We are looking to replace all of our regular kitchen knives. The ones we are currently using: Chef's knife (10", 8", 6"), bread knife, fillet knife, Nakiri, paring (a few different sizes), slicer (8", 10")

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
When I go to that link, it's very hard to follow. Maybe the coding is broken? I use a blade grip. I think my husband uses a handle grip or possibly with his pointer finger on top

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
It depends on what I'm cutting. Typically, I probably do rocking or walking and will chop a lot. I'd say its more push-cut, but I'm unlikely gentle enough. :)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Looking for sharper, more durable knives

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Before I decided to do this right and refer to experts, I was drawn to the Shun Premier knives because they were so unique and I have always loved the look of blacksmith forging which those reminded me of. As for handles, I'm drawn to curves, but it isn't really important to me.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
When I have to cook gumbo for Thanksgiving, I am chopping and mincing for hours, so something that is comfortable is preferable.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
ability to use out of box would be nice, but not super important. Smoother cutting motions, less reactivity with food, easier to sharpen >I would like these things, but I think anything better than what I'm using now will have these qualities :)

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Definitely don't want to sharpen before every use as I do right now, but a week or even longer would be ideal

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Maple Wood though my husband likes to do meat on a synthetic because so raw juices don't seep into our wooden ones.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yep.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Will they need other things other than stones, sharpening wands, or pull throughs? I have all of those currently, but will get what's required.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Thanks for taking the time to help me. Cooking we are pros with, but the world of knives is new for me, so any guidance is much appreciated. I'm excited to have some knives to be proud of. Also, I have a little chef (7yo) at home, who is getting quite good at chopping. If y'all have any recommendations on knives for little chefs, I'd love to get her some.

Seems like you're going to want a workhorse 210 / 240 mm gyuto to start off. Unsure if you have the proper sharpening stones, but you'll want at least a 1000-2000 grit stone to keep your new high end knife sharp.

Since you've never help a japanese handle, i can tell you they are very comfortable. Theres 3 main types (Octagonal is what i prefer, round, D shape (also comfy, but righty/left specific)

you'll also want to look into the different types of steels, there are an almost infinite # of japanese knives made from many different types of materials. I prefer Aogami Super (Blue Super) for my gyutos as they hold a very sharp edge for the longest time. The tradeoff is that they can be brittle; no throwing them around in the sink, no dishwasher, no other users in your household that won't care for them. I just bought the Anryu Aogami Super 210 Gyuto
Blue #2 would be my second choice, as most wouldn't notice the difference between AS (Blue Super) and Aogami #2 (Blue #2) The Anryu Blue #2 is a very good purchase here.
White steel is known to attain the sharpest edges, with a tradeoff of not being able to retain that edge as long as blue steel (Wakui Sanjo)
The above will patina with use, its inevitable and can look very nice. It can rust with poor care, its not hard to prevent, just wipe dry and store away from water. Rust can be removed in minutes with a rust eraser.

Stainless: VG10 steel is "meh" around here, but some are made very visually appealing with colored damascus and all. VG10 is very very brittle.
Theres also other high end stainless steels that i'll let someone else chime im with: Ginsan, SG2, Hap40, etc.

Welcome to the forum! You are right, this can be a very involved process. There are an absolute myriad of Japanese knife options. I have never used a Calphalon knife before, I have held one. As I recall it was pretty heavy. Virtually all of the Japanese options will be much lighter.

I just bought my daughter a Takamura Chromax as her first "good" knife, based on the strong recommendations of some forum members whose opinions I trust. It does look cool! It is very light and thin, but I snuck it out of the box to cut a few carrots and it made quick work of them. Really sharp out of the box, and the steel they use for the core is very hard, meaning good egde retention. Honestly, though it is a little short in the heel for my taste, I almost want to give her my Shun Kaji SG2 so I can keep playing with this one.

Welcome to the forum.

You mention less reactivity so I assume you would prefer stainless or semi stainless. You could get a reactive over stainless as well where just the edge of the knife is reactive. I think it's a good place to start, if you want to go that way, to get an idea of maintenance on these types of knives. This is one of the most recommended stainless gyutos on the site. Same knife, just different handles.
https://www.chefknives togo.com/kohd2gy21la.html
https://www.chefknives togo.com/kohd2gy24we.html

Wowza! I think this might be more involved than when I bought my last car. lol Anyway, new here and needing all kinds of advice on where to start and how.

USA > Louisiana

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Looking to replace all my current Calphalon block set knives that we've taken care of and are still sharp over 13 years later.
Would like to start with a chef's knife, utility knife, slicer

Are you right or left handed?
righty tighties

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I'll be honest. I haven't held the Japanese handle to know if I'd prefer it. Used to Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I think 8" blades would be a good place to start

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Absolutely not

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I'm looking to replace with quality knives that can last longer. I don't mind buying slowly. However, to start with, I likely wouldn't buy a knife over $300 until I know of its value to me.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Different knives are for different purposes. I wouldn't use a chef's knife for trimming meat as I wouldn't use a fillet knife to mince garlic. Not sure what this question is asking. I would use the right knife required for the cutting job I need.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
We are looking to replace all of our regular kitchen knives. The ones we are currently using: Chef's knife (10", 8", 6"), bread knife, fillet knife, Nakiri, paring (a few different sizes), slicer (8", 10")

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
When I go to that link, it's very hard to follow. Maybe the coding is broken? I use a blade grip. I think my husband uses a handle grip or possibly with his pointer finger on top

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
It depends on what I'm cutting. Typically, I probably do rocking or walking and will chop a lot. I'd say its more push-cut, but I'm unlikely gentle enough. :)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Looking for sharper, more durable knives

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Before I decided to do this right and refer to experts, I was drawn to the Shun Premier knives because they were so unique and I have always loved the look of blacksmith forging which those reminded me of. As for handles, I'm drawn to curves, but it isn't really important to me.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
When I have to cook gumbo for Thanksgiving, I am chopping and mincing for hours, so something that is comfortable is preferable.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
ability to use out of box would be nice, but not super important. Smoother cutting motions, less reactivity with food, easier to sharpen >I would like these things, but I think anything better than what I'm using now will have these qualities :)

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Definitely don't want to sharpen before every use as I do right now, but a week or even longer would be ideal

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Maple Wood though my husband likes to do meat on a synthetic because so raw juices don't seep into our wooden ones.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yep.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Will they need other things other than stones, sharpening wands, or pull throughs? I have all of those currently, but will get what's required.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Thanks for taking the time to help me. Cooking we are pros with, but the world of knives is new for me, so any guidance is much appreciated. I'm excited to have some knives to be proud of. Also, I have a little chef (7yo) at home, who is getting quite good at chopping. If y'all have any recommendations on knives for little chefs, I'd love to get her some.

This thread might be a good read for you in your research:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/top-5-knives-to-try-at-under-300.42296/page-3#post-711451Mac Pro is a good solid knife IMO, comfy western handle, decent steel, etc.

Also, if you happen to go to NOLA, check this place out:
https://couteliernola.com/

I have gone back and forth on how to address these things over the years and have ultimately decided that vendors are the answer. In my humble opinion, there are three vendors in the United States who's opinions are as good as gold: Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports, Craig at Carbon Knife Co. and James at Knives & Stones, who recently (somewhat) launched his U.S. business.

I truly believe the best course of action is to peruse their sites, see if one clicks with you and then pick up the phone. All three are absolute gentleman who will advise you well and, speaking frankly, better than any of us can (me included). Buy with absolute confidence in these dudes.They won't up-sell or B.S.

I have gone back and forth on how to address these things over the years and have ultimately decided that vendors are the answer. In my humble opinion, there are three vendors in the United States who's opinions are as good as gold: Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports, Craig at Carbon Knife Co. and James at Knives & Stones, who recently (somewhat) launched his U.S. business.

I truly believe the best course of action is to peruse their sites, see if one clicks with you and then pick up the phone. All three are absolute gentleman who will advise you well and, speaking frankly, better than any of us can (me included). Buy with absolute confidence in these dudes.They won't up-sell or B.S.
+1

Gesshin Stainless or Uraka, Tanaka from Knives and Stones, Kaeru from Japanese Natural Stones, Yoshikane, Wakui, Misono or Masahiro too.. great options to start with.

The thread about knives under 300 isn't a bad starting point.
For stainless Takamura SG2 and Makoto Kurosaki are great options but probs too thin for you.
I don't really agree with VG10 being that bad, heavily depends on the maker. But if there is a VG10 and Sg2 one for 200, steel wise the Sg2 wins.
The Gesshin stainless sells super hot right now, like 70 knives in 5 days. Pretty good performace for the price point and comes with Saya.
The Kaeru from JNS is really nice. Got the White#2 stainless clad. Great performer, nice fit and finish, thin behind the edge but not too thin and not too thin spine for pinching.
Yoshis are great. Also Shigeki Tanaka, great prices on KnS, do have an American shop but prefer the Australian one with more offers and better fit and finish. Knives and Stones, US orhttps://www.knivesandstones.com.au/. You can also try Mazaki, Wakui great price.
There is one in BST for 180 but in 240 unfortunately. WTS - Wakui migaki 240
All great knives which will be an upgrade for sure.
Great shops in the US are bernal cutlery who apparently has a 20% discount right now, code: “abolition again” . JapaneseKnifeImports, CarbonKnifeCo, Coutelier Nola and Epic Edge 10% discount with your KKF name.

Looks like you're already getting tons of great recommendations but thought I'd chime in and clarify whether you're okay with a non-stainless steel knife. I'm reading in the OP that stainless is absolutely not a requirement but let me know if I'm misreading that.

If you're okay with non-stainless, maybe try a stainless clad knife with a white/blue steel core. I have a stainless clad Yu Kurosaki knife that I really like and definitely easier to care for if you're not sure if you're ready for a ironclad carbon knife that will patina (check out the patina thread to see what I'm referring to). If you like the look of the Shun Premier, he makes several lines with hammered or nashiji finishes that look great.

The Kaeru currently on bst is an excellent knife at the lower end of the budget continuum, have a 240 myself and have helped several coworkers get into the 210 for a starter knife, always well received. Tough, semi-stainless, basically worry-free steel, little thicker geometry lends more toughness and food release, while still performing quite well, and leaves room to ease into learning thinning and experiencing how that can open up performance. Hard to think of a better value at that asking price. That said, it could be paying more if aesthetics are important to you, as it’s a pretty plain knife.

Latest posts

Back