D. Martell Help to Design a Forum Knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about something different? What about a steak knife designed along the lines of a honesuki. I always loved the ones Joe bought. There's something sexy about how a really sharp knife cuts through a good steak (of course, not all the way to the plate).
end quote
wait till you see what im working on they will be WA handeled and there will be 4 of them

get you wood cutting plates ready :)

I second a good parer. That last Devin Thomas parer was oh so sexy.

k.

EDIT: Second thought, I read tk59's comment and agree that small knives are disproportionately expensive. Strike that. ...but that knife was pretty cool...

I know I said anything but the cleaver is off the list. They just flat suck to grind. :)

Ground out my first one today, and yes it was a chore, took two hours steady going.

I like a narrow gyuto, 2" or slightly under. Maybe I started liking narrow ones, because I have a piece of damasus I forged at Devin's that is 2" tall, and using it for a narrower slicer seems such a waste of good steel! :)
Masamoto shape is my favorite along with Shigefusa's (similar to shape you picked for your knives, Dave) just a little bit narrower.

Mr. Drinky - there are some folks here who like slicers in 240mm length.

50751x.jpg

see...

Wow...that's nice Bruce. What is it?

I would like to see a parer - maybe partnered to something else but definitely a parer

I vote for Western boning knife, one that doesn't suck to sharpen, thin, carbon, not flexible, ryan

Wow...that's nice Bruce. What is it?

That's a Carter gyuto/funayuki. Just way, way longer than Carter would ever do except for a custom order. I like this as well if we can't do something single bevel.

I tend to agree with a lot of people talking about how the gyuto market is kind of flooded. Unless we can do something to keep the price WAY down, then you are talking something in the $300 range. A lot of people have mentioned the Masamoto KS for profile, but unless the price is well below or at least competitive with the Masamoto, most people would just buy the Masamoto. Same thing with the other forum knives. It's hard to get a niche that makes designing a guyto worthwhile.

I kind of like the boning knife idea, and if there was any way to do a nice petty but keep it down in price that would be ideal, I think, but from the other petty's in this range of similar knives, I don't think there is any way to do one that would cost less than $200. Hard to compete with Konosuke, etc. in petty costs. I still like the idea of a single bevel if it could be pulled off...

I like the scimitar idea as I only have cheep ones. I like the stainless clad carbon steel knives a lot these days. looks cool & you get the best of both worlds, easer to use at work

A shorter "Carteresque" funayuki or a BBQ knife like a criollo?

The knife may well need to have some broader appeal to carry a decent sized run and keep costs down... :)

I like the scimitar idea as I only have cheep ones. I like the stainless clad carbon steel knives a lot these days. looks cool & you get the best of both worlds, easer to use at work

This is definitely an over looked part of the market. Boning knives and scimitars are mostly only available by cheap manufacturers in poor steel. Granted these appeal to pros way more than the home user, but I think even some home users here would end up with one seeing as they are unique and we find any excuse to get a new knife. The BBQ guys could use both, boning for trim, scimitar for slicing.

Dave,

How about something like a Masamoto KS gyuto/suji hybrid. I find myself using a suji more but like more knuckle clearance. I have a 240 suji that I had custom made from Pierre with more height than a normal suji and I love it. But would love something in a 270 size and the Masamoto profile is great.

I must say I do also like the idea of some butchering knives.

-Chuck

for sure cleaves suck to grind out and till you do one you will never really know (its not jstu 2 8 inch chef blades on top each other )

yes exactly like that....

I'm down with this. Suji's are my favorite style ... This is something I've been interested in ever since Scott brought the Massamoto to my attention.

As well I am a big Funyuki fan. If you are doing a gyuto you need to hollow ground/large bevel front and back sides so it tapers down. Thin is good but thin all the way through is not an all around knife.

Another thing I have always wanted but not sure if it is able to be done, is a single bevel gyuto (on thinner side but not a complete laser) that is hollowed on the backside like a yanagiba or deba. And at the tip, Kiritsuke/suji style.

Steel ... I know everyone is into higher-end stuff... But honestly some of the cheaper carbons work really well and would help keep the price down, gaurantee you would sell more. You NEED a budget line from a Chef standpoint.

After that on a more custom level, I love any carbon, white, blue, even semi-stainless, you name it.

Stainless I will leave to you guys. Just go stainless or carbon. Leave the cladding to the Hiros Dave, please.

This is if I had the know-how to play Frankenstien.

-Bryan

I think cladding would bring the price up too high. Also a steel that needs cryo will bring the price up. I say stick with O1 or AEB-L at 58 rockwell. The handles should be simple wa, or bolsterless western to keep the price down. AEB-L and O1 can be bought in strip form and water jet cut to cut costs.

You guys are really coming up with some great ideas and concepts. I'm watching and listening here - trust me I am. :)

I wrote "O1 or AEB-L at 58 Rockwell" I meant O1 at 60+ Rockwell; AEB-L, without cryo, treated to 58 Rockwell. I don't think ultra high hardness is needed in something that will contact bone.

I would like a forum bread knife. However serrated edges kill my boards.

I need a 300 gyuto / deba bread knife. Anyone got ideas?

Forum bread knife in damascus, or 6 damascus forum steak knives with burl wood handles.

I'll park some money aside in a bank account. Let me know when I need to make a withdrawal...

Back