Help with choice of Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need your advice in choosing a Nakiri. I would prefer a mid-length, say 180 mm more or less. This will be the third knife in my slowly but steadily growing selection of Japanese knives. These are what I have so far:

Akifusa Migaki Aogami Super 180 mm Gyuto Carbon Steel, Stainless Clad

Yoshimi Kato Blue Super 150mm Nashiji Petty-Utility Carbon Steel

Last edited:
I don’t know what your budget is but you can’t go wrong with a Watanabe pro nakiri. The most commonly recommended nakiri in that size. I think Watanabe has announced he’ll be increasing his prices quite significantly soon so may be worth getting an order in now before they do.

Otherwise, a 180 nakiri by Toyama from JNS would also be a good performer I’d say. I have the 240 gyuto from that line and it’s got a nice lean convex grind that balances food separation and release well. Stainless clad blue 2.

Here's the questionnaire.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Nakiri

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180 mm more or less--it depends on the knife.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) I prefer carbon steel with stainless cladding.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $400 more or less

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home only

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Any work to be done with fruit and vegetables.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Old German knives

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Slicing, chopping, mincing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Layered stainless cladding over carbon steel, and all of the many differences between this and a German knife (which are too numerous to list).

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? All of the above

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Again, all of the above.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I don't know--as long as it should, I suppose, depending on how much and what kind of work I do with it.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Rubber, teak end grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) I'm learning on Japanese beater knives. I haven't touched my two good knives and will not until I have practiced enough to be comfortable doing so

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Here's the questionnaire.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Nakiri

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180 mm more or less--it depends on the knife.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) I prefer carbon steel with stainless cladding.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $400 more or less

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home only

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Any work to be done with fruit and vegetables.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Old German knives

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Slicing, chopping, mincing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Layered stainless cladding over carbon steel, and all of the many differences between this and a German knife (which are too numerous to list).

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? All of the above

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Again, all of the above.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I don't know--as long as it should, I suppose, depending on how much and what kind of work I do with it.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Rubber, teak end grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) I'm learning on Japanese beater knives. I haven't touched my two good knives and will not until I have practiced enough to be comfortable doing so

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Tadokoro silver#3 170mm

Let me also add, that while I don't have the nakiri, I do have an Akifusa AS gyuto and very much like it. Very well executed and performing knife. The surface may cause some sticking on the nakiri.

I have that exact knife and I love it. I don't have any other gyutos to compare it to, but it cuts better than any knife I have ever owned. Their nakiri was naturally the first one I looked at, but with all of these Wat recommendations the issue is in doubt.

I have that exact knife and I love it. I don't have any other gyutos to compare it to, but it cuts better than any knife I have ever owned. Their nakiri was naturally the first one I looked at, but with all of these Wat recommendations the issue is in doubt.

Watanabe pricing is going to jump next month.

Like I said, I love my Akifusa but am absolutely glad I got the Wat.

I've not used a Watanabe Pro Nakiri, so maybe I just don't know how good it can be, but I don't ever want for something better or different than my Kisuke Manaka Nakiri (Aogami 2). It is ground very thin, but that's sort of the point for a vegatable prep knife, no? There are not percievable shoulders, per se and it taps through onion quickly and denser foods without wedging. It is an easy profile and grind to maintain on the stones. I feel like it makes my knife skills seem better than they are. I don't find it to be very reactive either. There was some initial odor that has been reported for Kisuke's knives, but it has since taken on a nice blue patina (no more odor or much concern with corrosion at this point). I cannot compare, but I really like that knife.

+1 on Wat nakiri. Plenty of photos, videos of performance, etc. around. There's a reason it's such a popular recommendation.

Yosimitu Kajiya
Large Nakiri 190mm
Nakiri 165mm
IMG20220413115603.jpg

I have looked everywhere I can think of and the Watanabe is out of stock; I have written to express my wish to purchase one from Watanabeblade as they have a few in stock. So far no response, though I realize that he is slow to respond. If anyone has any ideas, I would very much like to hear them.

His responses are indeed usually delayed. How long have you waited thus far?

I've never experience "slow to respond" with him. Perhaps your query got lost in whatever system he uses.

As a comparison, earlier this month I ordered a Pro Gyuto. Submitted the website form and had a response three business days later (five total days, there was a weekend in there). Ten days seems like the timeframe to start worrying according to Shinichi. His email signature says:

"Sorry for delay.
We receive so many orders every day.
I make and e-mail almost alone. Please wait about 10 days for my next
response.
I hope you don’t send another e-mails. Sorry for the inconvenience. "

Back