help with choice of new knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseg46

Reaction score
hi all you guys, greetings from spain

I open this thread, because I would like to consult you about the next purchase I want to make, so that the experts of the forum, can help me choose the best option

I am not a professional, but I am a lover of cooking, and I love to look at good knives ... currently I have a global chef's knife, which I like very much, but I would like to buy something of a somewhat higher level, and I have 3 options, which are the ones I like most both aesthetically, as the shape of the blade and so on, and are the 3 that fit my budget, about 160 $ ... are these 3

takamura migaki r2 gyuto 180mm

miyabi artisan sg2 gyuto 200mm

shun premier tim malzer chef knife 200mm

the case is that I don't know for which to choose, aesthetically I like very much the miyabi artisan, but I also like very much the way of cutting so clean of the takamura, although I have read that the blade is fragile for being so fine, I don't know if it is true... the main use would be to cut fresh vegetables on a wooden board, and perhaps some meat without bone, to cut bone I already have other knives of low quality, so it would be an easy work I think, not very demanding

I have a set of natural stones epañolas of grain approximately 1000 and 4000, which have worked well, although I am not an expert in sharpening, I try to do the best I can and slowly, not to damage the knives

Thank you very much and I look forward to your response

Think most people here tend to shy away from the mega-brands of Miyabi (henkels) and Shun (kai), probably more of a function of unconscious bias (or very conscious in some cases ha) rather than actually being not as good as the smaller makers (though takamura is a pretty big name now themselves with a endorsements and collabs with celebs like martha stewart, gordon ramsay, massimo bottura, Rene Redzepi).

Personally 180mm is too small to be a main chefs knife for me. I'd go at least 210+. Most will suggest Takamura here I bet.

The shun not being SG2/R2 like the other 2 will probably have less edge retention and probably the least desirable of the choices. Though I do have a shun as one of my knives and it holds a useable edge for a long time at home.

https://mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsps-gyuto-210mm-8-2/
I don't know what shipping to spain is, but this knife is going to go on sale at 20% off in June, so it should be well below your budget before shipping. Cheapest place I think I've seen it.

Last edited:
I have the Takamura R2 red handle in 150 petty and 180 and 210 gyutos, they are my most used knives, I choose between them depending on the size of the ingredients I'm going to cut, for cabbage and lettuce the 210, for cilantro and onions the 180, for fruit the 150. Great knives.

For the price of Shun's, if you sharpen yourself, they are a bit overpriced for what you get. Where they shine is for those that don't sharpen and don't know anyone who does. They will sharpen them for the cost of shipping to them.

Think most people here tend to shy away from the mega-brands of Miyabi (henkels) and Shun (kai), probably more of a function of unconscious bias (or very conscious in some cases ha) rather than actually being not as good as the smaller makers (though takamura is a pretty big name now themselves with a endorsements and collabs with celebs like martha stewart, gordon ramsay, massimo bottura, Rene Redzepi).

Personally 180mm is too small to be a main chefs knife for me. I'd go at least 210+. Most will suggest Takamura here I bet.

The shun not being SG2/R2 like the other 2 will probably have less edge retention and probably the least desirable of the choices. Though I do have a shun as one of my knives and it holds a useable edge for a long time at home.

https://mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsps-gyuto-210mm-8-2/
I don't know what shipping to spain is, but this knife is going to go on sale at 20% off in June, so it should be well below your budget before shipping. Cheapest place I think I've seen it.

hello, thank you very much for answering... please, one question, what is the difference between the knife you recommended, and the red handled takamura r2?

with respect to the measure of 18cm, I am comfortable working with it, I prefer the knives of that measure, 18-20cm, I have a global g2 of 20 cm, and another knife of the Spanish brand arches, also 20 cm, I become more comfortable smaller, as my kitchen is not very large : )

I have the Takamura R2 red handle in 150 petty and 180 and 210 gyutos, they are my most used knives, I choose between them depending on the size of the ingredients I'm going to cut, for cabbage and lettuce the 210, for cilantro and onions the 180, for fruit the 150. Great knives.

hello, thank you very much for responding

I'm glad to read your comment....that's the main use I want to make of it, cutting onions, red peppers, green peppers, carrots, tomatoes...for bigger ones I would use the 20cm global g2...

How about the 18cm takamura, is it comfortable? I usually cut with a rocking motion, will it be okay with that one?

Greetings

How about the 18cm takamura, is it comfortable? I usually cut with a rocking motion, will it be okay with that one?

Greetings
I think it is as comfortable as any other Western handle. The handles are small though... Personally I do not think that the Takamura is suited for rocking. It is thin, it is hard, it is brittle. I wouldn’t rock with such a knife as the lateral forces during rocking (moving sideways during board contact) can really harm the blade.

I think it is as comfortable as any other Western handle. The handles are small though... Personally I do not think that the Takamura is suited for rocking. It is thin, it is hard, it is brittle. I wouldn’t rock with such a knife as the lateral forces during rocking (moving sideways during board contact) can really harm the blade.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that :(

I had almost decided on the takamura... what's the right way to cut with these knives then? Thank you very much.

For getting a Takamura from a retailer in the EU, they have a sale going here: Koksmessen
The Takamura R2 180 for €120, the R2 210 for €135 and a Takamura Chromax 210 for €120. I don't know what shipping costs to Spain will be, but at least you won't be paying any import taxes.

And what daddy yo yo said counts for pretty much all Japanese knives. The higher hardness of the blades makes them prone to chipping. Therefore, try to avoid any sideways movements while the knife edge is in contact with the board. You can still do rocking, just be aware of this.

hello, thank you very much for responding

I'm glad to read your comment....that's the main use I want to make of it, cutting onions, red peppers, green peppers, carrots, tomatoes...for bigger ones I would use the 20cm global g2...

Greetings
I rock with mine often, actually guillotine and glide, without any problems at all. The shape of this blade, its profile, is perfectly suited for this. I do use a wood board which makes a difference, poly boards get cut-up and grooved and the edge of the blade can get stuck in them as you are cutting. I think the 180 will suit you well. The edge on my knives are not the factory edges, those are prone to chipping as the metal is fatigued from manufacturing and they are sharpened at very acute angles. No problems with a new edge.

[QUOTE = "dafox, publicación: 705961, miembro: 34567"]
Me balanceo a menudo con la mía, en realidad guillotina y planeo, sin ningún problema. La forma de esta cuchilla, su perfil, se adapta perfectamente a esto. Yo sí uso una tabla de madera que marca la diferencia, las tablas de polietileno se cortan y acanalan y el borde de la cuchilla puede atascarse en ellas mientras corta. Creo que el 180 te quedará bien. El borde de mis cuchillos no son los bordes de fábrica, son propensos a astillarse ya que el metal se fatiga por la fabricación y se afilan en ángulos muy agudos. No hay problemas con una nueva ventaja.
[/ CITAR]

Hola muchas gracias por tu respuesta

Casi estoy decidido por el takamura r2, lo único que tengo dudas es qué tamaño tomar, 180 mm o 210 mm ... Dudo mucho ... ¿Tomo? La duda que tengo no es si el 180 mm no será demasiado estrecho para la hoja, ya que tomo los cuchillos de la parte donde se encuentran el cuchillo y la hoja, así ...
portada-correccion.jpg

Espero que no haya ningún problema con los bordes rotos o algo así, si lo comprobo, lo cuido mucho 👍

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "dafox, publicación: 705961, miembro: 34567"]
Me balanceo a menudo con la mía, en realidad guillotina y planeo, sin ningún problema. La forma de esta cuchilla, su perfil, se adapta perfectamente a esto. Yo sí uso una tabla de madera que marca la diferencia, las tablas de polietileno se cortan y acanalan y el borde de la cuchilla puede atascarse en ellas mientras corta. Creo que el 180 te quedará bien. El borde de mis cuchillos no son los bordes de fábrica, son propensos a astillarse ya que el metal se fatiga por la fabricación y se afilan en ángulos muy agudos. No hay problemas con una nueva ventaja.
[/ CITAR]

Hola muchas gracias por tu respuesta

Casi estoy decidido por el takamura r2, lo único que tengo dudas es qué tamaño tomar, 180 mm o 210 mm ... Dudo mucho ... ¿Tomo? La duda que tengo no es si el 180 mm no será demasiado estrecho para la hoja, ya que tomo los cuchillos de la parte donde se encuentran el cuchillo y la hoja, así ...
portada-correccion.jpg

Espero que no haya ningún problema con los bordes rotos o algo así, si lo comprobo, lo cuido mucho 👍
You're welcome.
The 180 is a great knife but not as versatile as the 210, i would start with the 210.

You're welcome.
The 180 is a great knife but not as versatile as the 210, i would start with the 210.

Hi, thank you so much for responding

Well, I'm convinced hehehe... I'm going to try to buy the 210mm, because I think it's a very good size too, and I think it's a very good price, it would cost me 135 euros (149 dollars)

Please, I don't want to bother you, but would it be possible for you to send me when you can, a photo of the two knives, the 18 and the 21cm together? If you don't want to hear here, by private message 👍

I am also concerned about one thing, how does the leaf look after a few months of use? It's that I've seen some Youtube videos, and the leaf seemed to be scratched and to have lost quite a bit of brightness, a duller color... and I've been worried that it would deteriorate aesthetically ... I'd really appreciate it if you could

20200530_181337.jpg

150 petty, 180 and 210 gyutos.
The cladding is a soft stainless. I bought the 210 used and it is quite a bit more scratched than the others which I have used quite a bit. I clean mine with a blue no scratch Scoth Brite sponge, the blue sponge still lightly scratches the knife but not anything like the green and yellow one would.

View attachment 82269
150 petty, 180 and 210 gyutos.
The cladding is a soft stainless. I bought the 210 used and it is quite a bit more scratched than the others which I have used quite a bit. I clean mine with a blue no scratch Scoth Brite sponge, the blue sponge still lightly scratches the knife but not anything like the green and yellow one would.

Hi, thank you so much for taking the time, I really appreciate it

Okay, I'll keep it in mind, I always use the sponge part to clean my knives, even if they're low quality, since I don't like to scratch them

Guys, what's the takamura chromax like? I also like its aesthetics, and the price is good, 120 euros

Sorry for the doubts about the purchase, I'm 19 years old and now, with the situation of the coronavirus, Spain has been quite punished, and my economy is not the best at this time, so with the little money I have saved, I do not want to fail in the election, I want to be good buy hehe, I hope you understand

Greetings

I haven't used either, but the Chromax isn't a full stainless steel. I'd classify it as a semi-stainless. It will patina along the edge, but it's not as reactive as full carbon steel. In exchange for that, it should be easier to sharpen than the R2. Both look like great options to me though.

Guys, what's the takamura chromax like? I also like its aesthetics, and the price is good, 120 euros

I gave the Takamura Chromax knives out as Christmas gifts in 2018. Two to co-workers and one to my parents. All of the knives are still doing great and have held up to neglect, abuse, terrible cutting techniques, etc... Everyone is blown away by how good their knives are (mainly because none of them had ever really tried a nice knife before, but also because the Takamura is just a great knife at that price)

I sharpen these knives for them about every 2 months, and they always still have a respectable edge left on them.

What's more is that they perform really well and are comfortable in hand.

You should feel comfortable buying the Chromax.

Hi, thank you so much for taking the time, I really appreciate it

Okay, I'll keep it in mind, I always use the sponge part to clean my knives, even if they're low quality, since I don't like to scratch them

Sorry for the doubts about the purchase, I'm 19 years old and now, with the situation of the coronavirus, Spain has been quite punished, and my economy is not the best at this time, so with the little money I have saved, I do not want to fail in the election, I want to be good buy hehe, I hope you understand

Greetings
I have one and regularly use it. It's pretty tough for a laser. It's stainless enough to set it down wet and get pulled away for 10 minutes without worries.

Hi again guys, sorry for the insistence hehe

Well, after a lot of looking and thinking, I decided to go for the santoku takamura r2, I think it can be adapted to what I am looking for, since it is a little wider than the gyuto 180mm

but the thing is, while looking at knives on the internet, my father saw the miyabi artisan gyuto 20cm, and he loved it so much that now he wants to give it to me, and my question is, would they be compatible? the miyabi on sale costs 150$ where I live, what do you think of that price? aesthetically it has always seemed beautiful to me

Thank you very much and I look forward to your help

The Miyabi seems like a much more substantial knife to me. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to user preference. They sure do look nice though. Also, $150 seems like a good deal to me, but I'm not too knowledgeable yet on what makes a good knife deal or not. In the end, reaching an objective decision on what will suit you best is near impossible, unless you get the option to use the knives before choosing. So, in some ways you'll just have to choose what you feel is best. Follow your heart I'd say, even though that sounds cheesy.

That's just my opinion. I'm not sure how others here would view my advice.

The Miyabi seems like a much more substantial knife to me. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to user preference. They sure do look nice though. Also, $150 seems like a good deal to me, but I'm not too knowledgeable yet on what makes a good knife deal or not. In the end, reaching an objective decision on what will suit you best is near impossible, unless you get the option to use the knives before choosing. So, in some ways you'll just have to choose what you feel is best. Follow your heart I'd say, even though that sounds cheesy.

That's just my opinion. I'm not sure how others here would view my advice.

Hello, thank you very much for responding

Well, the problem is that my heart doesn't know which way to go hehe

I'm quite hesitant, on the one hand, I love the miyabi, I really like its look, and the shape of the leaf, as it is wide, so you can pick it up quite well from the leaf

but on the other hand, I read the opinions that they're not worth it, that they're too expensive for what they offer... and I don't know what to do anymore

my intention is to make a collection of about 5-6 knives of an acceptably good quality, I have the global g2, and I just bought right now the takamura r2 santoku, is a good buy? it cost me 120$...I'm not enthusiastic about the santokus, but I thought it would be better to have more variety of blades, and as the global and the takamura gyuto 210mm are very similar the blades, I preferred to buy the santoku, hopefully I wasn't wrong hehe

now the doubt is with the miyabi, it's like that girl you know that maybe she's not the best for you, but she drives you crazy every time she looks at you hahaha

Back