Help with Non Japanese Knife ID/Info

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylar303

Wannabe Stone/Razor/Knife Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to first apologize for the bad pictures. Limited to indoors, cold front came in went from sunny 50s to 17°f and expecting 5" snow...

First thread post of my own so hope I do it right and in the proper section.

I've been grabbing some random knives here and there. Or aquire old ones from family friends. Anways most were basic made in Japan stainless, so nothing super special...

1st batch of knives. Top to bottom. A Nevco? Stainless steel, Brazil. Steak knife. Couldn't find anything on the company, was just curious about it. I don't see many Brazilian knifes. Might just be me.
20220309_130347.jpg

2nd down from top. An interesting one. Seems pretty old. 1/4" under 5" may have been 5" originally. I took a photo of the worn MM, which probably isn't much help. But it does have one distinct feature, which is near the spine on the sides, it has lined indents. So from that maybe some knows about it?
20220309_130447.jpg
20220309_130458.jpg

2 J. Marttiini, Finland filled knives. With these I wanted opinions on which I should keep. The top one came with the sheath, but has a fixed tip. Other is a bit more beat up but has a good tip.

20220309_130347.jpg
A green river works stainless. I did find some similar knifes for sale but couldn't find much on this particular knife. Similar ones but the pin holes were different or the etching was different. And some had decent prices for an old knife. Nothing compared to Japanese knives, but would help fund this new hole I've been digging since joining here. I wouldn't last long if I were buying Japanese knives... I only ask, because embarrassingly enough I was using it as a practice throwing knife... (If it's special. *Instert Facepalm Here*)
20220309_130523.jpg
20220309_130530.jpg

This one I was pretty sure wasn't a kitchen knife since it came with a sheath, despite it looking like a fat parring? Knife. I did hear back from Helle Fabrikker, and they told me "It's an old fishing knife, 70's-80's, rosewood handle. Steel is our own proprietary steel." So that's cool.
20220309_131011.jpg

And finally may not be that old, but pretty much the only knife I use in the kitchen for almost everything. Caddie Japan SS nakiri?
20220309_132745.jpg
And is this a bread knife or?
20220309_130546.jpg

Any tid-bits of information is most welcome. Even if it's "that one's nothing special". I'm particularly interested in the 2nd unknown knife, definitely not stainless, but beyond that?

And the green river, as I wonder if I should stop using it as a throwing knife and find it a new home...

Edit - Was having difficulty with pictures...
Also, some of you and your knife pics could be in magazines, so if you have tips on how to get good pictures. (Limited to a s10 phone, so maybe impossible...) Besides better lighting!

Thanks KFF!

Last edited:
If any of these make you happy to use, then go for it!
In terms of financial value, there's not much meat on the bone. Personally, I'd hang on to the top puokko knife with the sheath as well as the Norwegian knife (which should clean up well)--not from a value perspective, just that they'll probably come in handy.
The last knife in the photos, which you asked about, is not a bread knife but a ham knife.
If you're interested in old knives, there are tons of bargains on ebay, especially if you're up for cleaning them up. My suggestion would be to look for old carbon steel. It gets sharper than cheap stainless and almost always involves more craftsmanship.

If any of these make you happy to use, then go for it!
In terms of financial value, there's not much meat on the bone. Personally, I'd hang on to the top puokko knife with the sheath as well as the Norwegian knife (which should clean up well)--not from a value perspective, just that they'll probably come in handy.
The last knife in the photos, which you asked about, is not a bread knife but a ham knife.
If you're interested in old knives, there are tons of bargains on ebay, especially if you're up for cleaning them up. My suggestion would be to look for old carbon steel. It gets sharper than cheap stainless and almost always involves more craftsmanship.
Thanks for the input! Yeah I was planning on keeping the Helle and one of the J. Marttiini.

Ha, yeah unfortunately these were ones that I grabbed from some thrift store and didn't know much about different steels at the time.

Back