Henckel question by the year....

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by alias-moi, Jan 27, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 27, 2020 #1

alias-moi

alias-moi

alias-moi

Hello, I know that this is not the type of knife regularly discussed here .... but apart from the profile of the blade, is there any difference between a Henckel 2 boy 4 star from the 2000s and today ? My first knives are Henckels bought in 1999-2000 and asked me if comparable today or not. Thank you

2. Jan 27, 2020 #2

Interapid101

Interapid101

Interapid101

They are not the same. I have a 2-man set from ~2003 and I recommended the same set to a friend around 2013. The handles were the same, the blade profiles were basically identical, but the newer blades were thinner and much lighter. Henkels must have been cutting materials costs at the expense of balance and potentially durability. I can't comment on steel/heat treat quality since I did not sharpen any knife from my friend's set.

Anyway, I felt bad for recommending the set to my friend. I don't know if the current blades are like the 2013 ones, but I imagine like other large companies, Henkels are trying to cut more and more costs. So I'd also expect a 2-man blade from 2020 to unfavorably compare with a blade from ~2000.

alias-moi likes this.
  3. Jan 27, 2020 #3
    I had a few rehandled back in the 2011 - 2012 time frame. (There was some drinking involved) My original henks from 1984ish time frame had full tangs under the POM handle and had more substance to them. Had a newer one that had a rat tail tang under the POM - balance was different, a good bit lighter.

alias-moi likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted