Herb storage

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
I seems to recall a discussion a while ago regarding storing herbs in the fridge. Someone suggested standing them up in water, I do all my shopping once a week and sometimes by the time I get to cooking with them the herbs would have wilted.

Today I came across these, "prepara herb savor mini"
https://youtu.be/5abKTNKZJSo. Seems like a good solution. Have any of you tried it? Thoughts/reviews?

i just keep them in in little clear plastic drawers . If you want them to last for more than a few days you have to either freeze them or buy them potted in soil and just cut them as you need them.

i just keep them in in little clear plastic drawers . If you want them to last for more than a few days you have to either freeze them or buy them potted in soil and just cut them as you need them.

Very black thumbs. Never tried freezing them. May do that and see. You I just need then to last the week.

Just roll them in wet kitchen paper by the bundle. If the paper dries out after a few days you might want to re-wet the paper. Seems to work just fine, especially if just for a week.

I can't say this works for all herbs/vegetables but its a trick I picked up as well.

Herbs tend to do well stood up in water and last a long time but they lose punch. Vegetables on the other hand probably are losing nutrients but they do handle rolled up in newspaper fairly well. The extra humidity tends to make them floppy but otherwise ok on taste. They don't last nearly as long as herbs in water though.

Can't find it for some reason. I guess these contraptions are gimmicky at best?

Yes. If you want to replicate the gimmick, just get a small glass, filll it with water and use it as a vase. Wet paper method seems to work best though.

Back