Hey from LA!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDCwrites

Reaction score
Louisiana not Los Angeles! Bayou country to be more precise. Where the food is good and where we are all taught how to Bam like Emeril.

My husband and I love to cook together. We've had the same knife set of Calphalon knives only ever replacing the steak knives for the 13 years we've been married. We took good care of them, but it's time for an upgrade. I was deciding between some Wusthof and Shun when I decided to do some research which led me here. So, I'm turning to any of you experts out there to help us start all over. Can't wait to learn more about kitchen knives!

Welcome to the forum. Louisiana is definitely my preferred LA.

There's a "Which Knife" questionnaire developed just to help folks like yourself lay out your expectations/budget/etc for a knife and will then get you suggestions (mostly) tailored to your requirements. If you cut/paste and fill this out in the Kitchen Knife section you'll get the most visibility.

Pls note that as a group we are NOT fans of "sets" of knives, most thinking that the sets invariably contain a lot of knives that will seldom be required or used. And you certainly wouldn't use the same knife to steak out a nutria as you would to slice swamp cabbage.

Good luck in your search.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Louisiana is definitely my preferred LA.

There's a "Which Knife" questionnaire developed just to help folks like yourself lay out your expectations/budget/etc for a knife and will then get you suggestions (mostly) tailored to your requirements. If you cut/paste and fill this out in the Kitchen Knife section you'll get the most visibility.

Pls note that as a group we are NOT fans of "sets" of knives, most thinking that the sets invariably contain a lot of knives that will seldom be required or used. And you certainly wouldn't use the same knife to steak out a nutria as you would to slice swamp cabbage.

Good luck in your search.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/
Thanks. I'll be sure to fill it out. But you might be surprised about how tender nutria meat can be and how tough swamp cabbage is. lol

Welcome to the party, JDC!

Living in SoCal, the traffic alone would be enough reason to prefer LA over L.A. Of course above and beyond that you have your culture and food and southern hospitality, etc. I totally get it. (But your skiing totally sucks, so I'll be happy to just visit.)

You're in a great position. Living with a set of blades that was at least adequate for you in the beginning, you know which knives you use a lot, which ones were just a waste of space and which ones might be missing (i.e. for the tasks you do that none of your current knives handle well).

Your budget can take the hit slowly, too. You can can upgrade incrementally, replacing pieces over time. And you can dial in your preferences like types of handles and steel without committing all at once.

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome JDC, Good thing you stopped in here before you bought your Wusthofs or Shuns. I have a full block of each of them which have gotten no use since the good people of the forum helped me to learn about REAL knives.

Back