Hey hey, Bob **** here!

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by sododgy, Mar 22, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2019 #1

sododgy

sododgy

sododgy

I'm a thirty something subpar line cook who started back in the industry this year for the first time since high school. With that comes a renewed excitement for the science, technique, and art of cooking, and all of the quality tools that make that possible (at least at home).

My collection started with a 6" Ferrum Technology Chef's knife (newer company out of Oregon you've probably never heard of) I picked up at the only kitchen supply store anywhere nearby. After shooting them a couple of unreturned emails about random things, and finding nearly zero information about them online, I wound up here and decided to give in to my habit of relentless research for my future purchases.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to keep pouring over this list of 240-270mm laser and laser-ish options I've made to see if I can make a decision on what to pull the trigger on (Shibata leads the race right now).

EDIT: Ha, sorry about the title. Just a fitting Primus intro, I didn't even think about it being a word that would be censored.

2. Mar 22, 2019 #2
    Welcome ****** Bob,

We have a "Which Knife?" questionnaire that when filled out will lead to lots of recommendations tailored (usually) to your requirements.

3. Mar 22, 2019 #3

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

Welcome!

Vermont or Virginia Tech?

4. Mar 22, 2019 #4

JustinP

JustinP

JustinP

Welcome, Bob!

5. Mar 22, 2019 #5

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Welcome!

As far as lasers go, don't forget to check out Takamura and Gesshin Ginga.

6. Mar 23, 2019 #6

sododgy

sododgy

sododgy

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Thanks! There are enough established threads on the topic that I'm trying to decide on my own with the info out unless I really hit a wall. I'll definitely utilize it if I wind up in need though.

Vermont. Working in Burlington and Winooski to be specific.

Thanks. If Takamura would just do a 240+, I would have had one weeks ago. Shibata, GG, Kono (but which steel?), Kobayashi, and the Yoshimi SG2 are what I've been kicking around the most (basically in that order). Ikazuchi would be up with GG if it were in stock. Definitely gonna reach out to JKI and see if there's any rough ETA on that front before I pull the trigger.

If only I still lived in Portland, OR or had a vehicle and passport to make a trip to Knifewear. I'd gladly make a day trip to get some steel in hand, but sadly that's not an option right now. Locally there are zero options for what I'm after right now. I feel like Misono is probably the pinnacle of what I've seen here.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  7. Mar 23, 2019 #7

KCMande

KCMande

KCMande

Supporting Member

I love Primus, saw Claypool a few times at Higher Ground back when I lived in Vermont

8. Mar 23, 2019 #8

sododgy

sododgy

sododgy

Was that the old HG or the current spot? I've only been here a few years, so I've only been to the current location. I've seen Primus all around the country, and their show at the Waterfront a couple years back is the best I've ever seen.

9. Mar 23, 2019 #9

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

10. Mar 23, 2019 #10

sododgy

sododgy

sododgy

Thanks. Generally the red handled 210 from the Migaki line are the only ones brought up in talks about lasers, so I was under the impression that line carried a different grind from the rest, no?

11. Mar 23, 2019 #11

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Slightly thicker at the heel, barely. If I remember correctly, .4mm wider.

12. Mar 23, 2019 #12

KCMande

KCMande

KCMande

Supporting Member

It was the new higher ground back when I was up there, I don't know if it moved in the last 10 years though. They always had great shows

13. Mar 24, 2019 #13

tandis

tandis

tandis

Welcome Bob, shibata for laser and full stainless steel & Kono HD for semi stainless steel. both easy to sharp