Hey!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naruto19

Reaction score
Brian here and recent knife addict for about a year now. Been trying to learn as much as I can but feel like have reached my limit on my own. So I figure it was time to jump in and join the community!

Please be kind to the new guy! I’ll try not to say anything too dumb lol

Hello! I reside in sunny Southern California

I got my first Japanese knife a Tojiro 150mm petty a year ago and then the bug caught me from there. I always knew that I would get to this point. I was just trying to put it off for as long as possible lol.

After that my first “real” Japanese knife from a blacksmith was a 210mm black Damascus SG2 gyuto by Kato.

I have have been partial to SG2 and I would say most of my collection is SG2 with a couple of AS now in the mix.
55418BDA-E008-42C0-976B-28C8BBF286BC.jpeg

I’ll be honest I have been trying to avoid this forum for a while. I am no stranger to forums and know they usually make the obsession even greater. Whether that is a good or bad thing lol

I have yet to snoop around that much. But so I don’t ask repetitive question. Are there any resources I should read through first?

Looks like you are gonna fit right in! #kithcenknifeenablersforum 😁

As to resources, it depends what you want to know about.

For sharpening, I got the most out of Jon B's (@JBroida) JKI's sharpening series (YT or the JKI site) and the Knifeplanet.net sharpening school (videos by Pete Nowlan (@Sailor) and Jon B IIRC)..

It's worth reading @Kippington's threads on "a simple explanation of asymmetry" and "stiction and the grind".

There have been a few decent treads on deburring recently which are worth a look (check the sharpening station forum).

Zknives has a number of useful resources, especially the knife steel composition charts.

Knifesteelnerds (@Larrin) has some excellent articles on knifesteels including many well conducted experiments which shed a lot of light on what actually matters in a knife steel and a heat treatment.

If you wanna take a deep dive into knife metallurgy, Verhoeven's Metallurgy for Knife Makers is very interesting.

Looks like you are gonna fit right in! #kithcenknifeenablersforum 😁

As to resources, it depends what you want to know about.

For sharpening, I got the most out of Jon B's (@JBroida) JKI's sharpening series (YT or the JKI site) and the Knifeplanet.net sharpening school (videos by Pete Nowlan (@Sailor) and Jon B IIRC)..

It's worth reading @Kippington's threads on "a simple explanation of asymmetry" and "stiction and the grind".

There have been a few decent treads on deburring recently which are worth a look (check the sharpening station forum).

Zknives has a number of useful resources, especially the knife steel composition charts.

Knifesteelnerds (@Larrin) has some excellent articles on knifesteels including many well conducted experiments which shed a lot of light on what actually matters in a knife steel and a heat treatment.

If you wanna take a deep dive into knife metallurgy, Verhoeven's Metallurgy for Knife Makers is very interesting.
Awesome thanks so much! I will get on reading and watching. Can’t wait to learn more about this hobby!

Took me a year to get semi familiar with the basics. I feel like I am just getting my bearings.

Awesome thanks so much! I will get on reading and watching. Can’t wait to learn more about this hobby!

Took me a year to get semi familiar with the basics. I feel like I am just getting my bearings.
Also, don't forget, this is a forum full of kitchen knife nerds. We love talking about knives and sharpening, so don't hesitate to ask away if you have a specific (or even a general) question.

Back