Hi all - looking to join the club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilalxnj

Reaction score
Hi fellow knife people... I came across this forum a couple of days ago while looking for a kitchen knives. My wife has been asking for a set for a but I don't know what was considered "good"? My wife sent me sale at WIlliam Sonoma on Shun Kaji knives and asked me to pick one ~1000 USD ... I couldn't find enough information on here to figure out if these are good for daily use?

I also do not have enough privileges to post in the kitchen knife forum, filling out the full questionere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. I have edited your post as you will get more exposure you post your questions in the general area. The questionnaire is definitely a good place to start. Now you should also have the right to post there.

Welcome to the forum! You're going to need a full set of Shigefusa or Kato knives and 10-15 Japanese natural stones to start out. (Kidding).

Welcome! Shun knives are attractive, low maintenance, and perform pretty well. Shun traditionally made blades with VG-10, which tends to chip and they're not fun to fix. They have since transitioned to VG-MAX which is supposed to be better but I haven't worked with it. You would pay a hefty premium buying them at Williams-Sonoma however. If you're looking at making that big of investment in kitchen knives I'd suggest a LOT of forum crawling and research. Get an idea of what shapes you'd have uses for, and what material(s) you'd be willing to take care of. Even then, I'd recommend just buying one and living with it, after you've invested in at least a cheapo plastic cutting board, no glass or metal. Welcome again, good to have you!

Back