Hi -- and thanks -- from Montreal!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SameGuy

much more awesomer
Reaction score
Just checking in here. This forum has already helped me learn quite a lot, so I wanted to say hi, and thank you all!

I've been fairly comfortable in the kitchen for many years, but apparently never really had good (or sharp) knives. In the past year I got back into yeast baking, and realized how poor any of my knives were against crusty breads. I started perusing (lurking on) various food and cooking forums' knife groups to find more information about "bread" knives. I was all set to spend a fairly hefty chunk of change on a serrated knife from a big name (German or Japanese) manufacturer when I found many posts advising to buy a cheap one, and just chuck it when it got dull. Quite a few posters recommended the cheap, stamped Chinese steel, KAI Pure Komachi 2 serrated blade. Nine bucks, and it cuts well!

The Pure Komachi 2 may not be the best knife on the planet, but it did get me interested in Japanese knives. I began to read everything I could about them, and with a quick trip to Asia coming up, I changed my flight plans to include a layover in Tokyo so I could go knife shopping! Sushi breakfast at Tsukiji Market was a bonus. I did the rounds of all the shops in Tsukiji and Kappabash-dori, and came home with a nice Masamoto Sohonten KS 270 wa-gyūtō that will be the workhorse in my kitchen. I have to admit that while the balance is wonderful and the agility is surprising, it's still a long knife for an all-arounder (the blade actually measures 282 mm) and it will take me a bit of time to get used to it!

Last week I ordered an Edge Pro with the full Chosera kit and plan to get all my various knives back in shape, while keeping the Masa in top tune. Eventually I'll learn to freehand, but right now I don't have much spare time to devote to it. And of course my obsession is growing. I don't know what my next knife will be, but I do know it will be Japanese-style. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Francesco

Welcome to addiction!!! Next up is prolly going to be a suji 330mm I'd guess haha.

LOL maybe! I'll be in Sydney in about five weeks (passing through on my way to Brisbane for Easter). How's the weather?

Welcome to the Knut House. If you are in the market for epiphanies, try a cleaver!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

LOL maybe! I'll be in Sydney in about five weeks (passing through on my way to Brisbane for Easter). How's the weather?

We got no summer this year lol. Been quite wet actually. Fingers crossed for a nice autumn and a mild winter!!!

Back