Hi, back in making kitchen knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datoudaw

Reaction score
Hi, I have been away for 4 yeas or so, due to work and travel. Started again early this year. Bought some Abe-L and cut some 75Cr1 from saw blades for 6 knives. Just mailed them to Paul Bos for heat treating. I do not do hammering, only stock removal. Hope to learn more from you guys. Thanks.

Hi, I have been away for 4 yeas or so, due to work and travel. Started again early this year. Bought some Abe-L and cut some 75Cr1 from saw blades for 6 knives. Just mailed them to Paul Bos for heat treating. I do not do hammering, only stock removal. Hope to learn more from you guys. Thanks.

That’s a great idea from saw blades, my table saw blades are hard as hell, maybe I should make a knife or two instead of toss it out.

Do you still need to heat treat the saw blades? They are already very hard.

That’s a great idea from saw blades, my table saw blades are hard as hell, maybe I should make a knife or two instead of toss it out.

Do you still need to heat treat the saw blades? They are already very hard.
Saw plates were generally treated to about HRC 44 to HRC 48. I asked the vendor to treat them at HRC 61to 62 for both 75Cr1 and Abe-L this time to see if I get better edge retention. Just curious if 2 degree in HRC makes any noticeable difference. ( I used to treat them at 59 to 60.)

Back