Hi everyone, looking to get much better

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy_c

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Glad to be here. I’ve been lurking for a while and have learned a lot. Want to be able to get my old Hiromoto knife razor sharp and, while I feel that I’m halfway there, I can’t seem to get past a certain point. Looking forward to participating!

Hi, happy.

Have you been watching sharpening videos to learn to sharpen? Who's are you using?

The popular ones around here are:

Japaneseknifeimports
Knifeplanet
Korin

Maybe some others.

ps-I've been sharpening for years, I can't get past a certain point either!

Thanks for the welcome!
I’ve watched multiple Korin videos and check in on Knifeplanet from time to time. Also a lot of other random ones, just trying to pick up any tips.
Got An Edge in the Kitchen from the library and found that helpful too.

Welcome aboard!
Chad Ward is certainly helpful in getting the basics. What kind of Hiromoto do you have? The AS with stainless cladding are quite well known here. Great knives, but often require regular thinning behind the edge to remain performant. Often seen an abrupt thickening that asks from some action. Open a thread in the Sharpening section for advice.

Hi—Embarrassed to say that I don’t know what kind of Hiromoto it is. I received it as a gift many years ago when I knew nothing about knives. I only recently found out what it was when I got interested in learning to sharpen and asked someone who could read the characters.

What you say about thinning behind the edge sounds like it could be part of my problem—the knife is easily 25 years old and has never been thinned. In fact, it’s worn down almost to the cladding, which would certainly make it pretty thick behind the edge. However, I’m also sure that I could stand to improve my sharpening technique since I’m still kind of a beginner.

Hi—Embarrassed to say that I don’t know what kind of Hiromoto it is. I received it as a gift many years ago when I knew nothing about knives. I only recently found out what it was when I got interested in learning to sharpen and asked someone who could read the characters.

What you say about thinning behind the edge sounds like it could be part of my problem—the knife is easily 25 years old and has never been thinned. In fact, it’s worn down almost to the cladding, which would certainly make it pretty thick behind the edge. However, I’m also sure that I could stand to improve my sharpening technique since I’m still kind of a beginner.
Nothing embarrassing: there's just one Hiromoto with a cladding, and that's the only one most people know. When the core gets worn, it's time for thinning. See it as a pencil. From time to time you have to remove the wood to free the core. Makes a tremendous difference in both performance and feeling. If people say it feels damped it's because they are almost cutting with the soft stainless clad.

Found this on another thread and am itching to go try it. I’ve never used a 400 grit stone, but if there’s ever a time to do so, sound like this is it. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome!
I’ve watched multiple Korin videos and check in on Knifeplanet from time to time. Also a lot of other random ones, just trying to pick up any tips.
Got An Edge in the Kitchen from the library and found that helpful too.
Welcome ! You should definitely watch the sharpening videos from Jon at Japanese knives imports they are the best IMO.

Back