hi from Melbourne

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by gollux, Jan 7, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 7, 2020 #1

gollux

gollux

gollux

I've been learning about knives and sharpening for a few years now, but I'm still figuring it out.

I have a couple Tojiro VG10 knives, but I'm thinking of getting a better knife soon - and would be grateful for any advice. I'm also looking to improve my sharpening technique: I use an Edge Pro Apex with Shapton Glass stones, but some aspects of my technique (e.g. deburring) definitely need work.

I'm looking forward to getting more involved in this great community!

2. Jan 7, 2020 #2
    Welcome to the forum

3. Jan 7, 2020 #3

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

Welcome mate

4. Jan 7, 2020 #4

gollux

gollux

gollux

5. Jan 8, 2020 #5

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Supporting Member

G'day and welcome to the forum. Fellow Melbournian here. :)

gollux likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2020 #6

crocca86

crocca86

crocca86

Hi from Sydney ​

7. Jan 8, 2020 #7

gollux

gollux

gollux

Cheers, both! I hope the smoke isn't too bad where you are.

8. Jan 8, 2020 #8

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

I think that smoke has been a problem all up and down the eastern seaboard (south of Brissie, at least). I'm told (by those who have been there) that it's much worse in the actual firegrounds though. Big shout out to all those (mainly unpaid volunteer) fireies (firefighters) fighting those mega blazes.

9. Jan 8, 2020 #9

gollux

gollux

gollux

Agreed. It's a heroic response to a tragic situation.

10. Jan 8, 2020 #10

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

I just did a vacation in sydney ... didnt even notice the fires. my hotel in blue mountains did cancel on me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Was the city empty because everybody was out fighting the fires?
    The busiest I saw Sydney was the same as Toronto at 3:00am. (though new years was very busy after that quiet ...

11. Jan 8, 2020 #11

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

whereabout in Sydney? IMO normal Sydneysider only can be seen around 8am/12pm/5pm other than that either they are inside buildings or hanging out near the beaches (we do have beautiful beaches)

12. Jan 11, 2020 #12

kevpenbanc

kevpenbanc

kevpenbanc

Supporting Member

13. Jan 11, 2020 #13

gollux

gollux

gollux

Cheers!

14. Jan 11, 2020 #14

Garner Harrison

Garner Harrison

Garner Harrison

Not as good as Queensland ;)

Also welcome to the forum! Hope you learn heaps and enjoy your stay :D

15. Jan 11, 2020 #15

TRPV4

TRPV4

TRPV4

Hiya welcome!

16. Jan 11, 2020 #16

Moooza

Moooza

Moooza

Welcome from another Melburnian.

17. Jan 11, 2020 #17

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

18. Jan 11, 2020 #18

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Low population density? Sydney is only 5 million over a big area. Also, it is summer break - a lot of people plan holidays. Similarly, quite a few work places shutdown over the Christmas, New Year period.

I hope you had a good trip!

19. Jan 11, 2020 #19

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

The population density is wonderful. I'm useto Toronto/new york no's ... 4000/km2 ..... Sydney is like 400/km2

A lot if places close here in Toronto also! -- but Sydney's traffic at 4pm is the same as Toronto's traffic at 4am. --- no exaggeration

20. Jan 12, 2020 #20

gollux

gollux

gollux

Thanks everyone!

21. Jan 12, 2020 #21

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

In December with good weather? I dont doubt it!

... In July? When its raining? Somebody breaks down 20km away from you and the whole route becomes a parking lot! :p

We're going through growing pains. Population density is growing faster than infrastructure and city planning. Melbourne probably follows Sydney, followed by Brisbane and Perth.

How did you find the prices? Sydney is ranked as one of the most expensive cities in the world. Fortunately it at least comes with the label as being one of the most liveable.... still... 'on the ground' prices seem to have run away faster than wages.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  22. Jan 12, 2020 #22

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Hey @gollux

You will find some what of a religious war between freehand sharpeners and jig sharpeners. Both methods result in sharp edges. Benefits and negatives on both sides. Have you considered giving free hand sharpening a go? Once you get into the groove, the setup costs (in time) are lower and the final polishes can be more sophisticated.

(p.s. any clues into what we should assume from your name? :))

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  23. Jan 13, 2020 #23

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

that whole thing about breaking down ... We do have a few breakdowns, but for the most part the cars get into accidents. -- the Accidents because of the snow and ice. so same thing.
    Actually i found it odd .. there are more "new" Cars in sydney than in toronto, there is the odd vintage car every once in a while over there also.

Your population is growing faster than infrastructure? This is a daily complaint about Toronto.

Actually this graph shows it pretty nicely.
    https://versus.com/en/sydney-vs-toronto
    What we have that is better - Sports teams and cheaper public transport. (the rent figure is old)
    You have better - 90% better population density / 1.25x higher average salary / 1.5x higher minimum wage / WAY better weather / dozens of in-city beaches.

Cost of living ... were roughly there.
    https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...ia&city1=Sydney&country2=Canada&city2=Toronto

I did find a medium Coke at hungry jacks to be pricy. but then again the burger was like 25% cheaper.

-L

24. Jan 14, 2020 #24

rob

rob

rob

Hi, and welcome from another Aussie. (Melbourne)

gollux likes this.
  25. Jan 15, 2020 #25

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

True. I would say this is more accurate. On balance I would say Sydney drivers are at least ok.... but when it rains people just go crazy and do really impatient and selfish things. It is the prangs that really clog things up.

Very true. Inner Sydney, where most of the tourist action happens, is a wealthy area. People here have high incomes and the cost of cars these days is pretty low. While old, beat-up cars aren't a rarity, they are not common. The story changes a little if you move out west.

I used to feel a little pride that Sydney did not have conspicuous wealth in its car stock. Sure we had a large fleet of luxury German cars but not many supercars that cost the same amount as a house. I remember visting London (maybe a decade ago) and being a little disgusted by the number of lamborghinis and ferraris you could walk past. It hasn't reached that level in Sydney but there are far more luxury sports cars than there used to be. It feels like a marker for inequality.

Australia has a high migration rate. Naturally this means we have a high population growth - I think we around the fifth in the OECD. This is not a bad thing. In fact... immigration is keeping the economy afloat. The problem is that local government does not seem to be planning for this... in hospitals, schools or transport. Go figure... We also seem to issue a high number of temporary work visas (measure in either absolute terms or as a proportion of population). Not to mention... education is one of our biggest exports (trailing only mineral commodities) - so we have a relatively large population of foreign students.

Nice links! I always thought of Canada and Australia has having roughly similar living conditions. Nice to see it visualised. The Numbeo link gives Sydney a slight advantage on cost of housing... That surprises me. That said, it seems like all 'desirable' cities are going crazy in terms of property prices. Australia certainly has some annoying policies that allows housing to be treated as a routine investment vehicle. I have mixed feelings on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted