Hi from North Carolina, USA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag302

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Tag, I am a doctoral student in the USA.
I love to cook and work with my hands. So naturally, I love to work on knives. I have just begun to scratch the surface of knives and have made a couple from scratch, and rehandled a couple from Japan. Most of my knives are carbon steel.
My collection consists of:

Dexter Russel 12”
Deba
Nakiri
Serbian chef (from scratch)
Mercer santoku
(The top knife was my first attempt at a homemade knife. It is an old file so it is incredibly heavy. It hardly ever gets used.)
FFC3D9F6-47B9-4D9C-A6B3-0AADD6D054CB.jpeg

I look forward to learning more. I have a 1000/6000 combination stone that gets the job done, but I am still learning. Thanks

welcome.
Nice knives.
The handle of that nakiri looks so short. Does it feel ergonomic to hold and use?
Im asking because im trying to figure out which type of handle i need to buy for an old blade.

welcome.
Nice knives.
The handle of that nakiri looks so short. Does it feel ergonomic to hold and use?
Im asking because im trying to figure out which type of handle i need to buy for an old blade.

I agree that it is too short it was the first handle I made for a hidden tang knife. Unfortunately when I got the knife, I pulled the tang out of the handle and it was rusted to a nub. So I had to weld a new tang onto it. And that was the only hardwood piece I had at the time so that is what I used. But fortunately, I most frequently use a pinch grip so with such a thin blade and the heavier tang I welded on, the balance is pretty good.

You can see with the Deba I made a much beefier handle since the spine of that deba is super think and heavy

I am very new to this. I am pretty much playing around with beat up old knives and scraps.
(I made that Serbian chef knife for my wife out on an old shovel. The scales are made from a merbau window frame and the pins are old bolts I ground the threads off of. I also added a brass accent into the handle to be a little unique)

Attachments

• D4895F1C-3D11-43DD-BE10-94B68D0E1EA2.jpeg
    D4895F1C-3D11-43DD-BE10-94B68D0E1EA2.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 9
  • DA002064-5603-4372-8A65-F3B3712F7934.jpeg
    DA002064-5603-4372-8A65-F3B3712F7934.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 9
  • F40FD51F-7FF4-4BDA-B4E7-9FE17750E52F.jpeg
    F40FD51F-7FF4-4BDA-B4E7-9FE17750E52F.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 9
I agree that it is too short it was the first handle I made for a hidden tang knife. Unfortunately when I got the knife, I pulled the tang out of the handle and it was rusted to a nub. So I had to weld a new tang onto it. And that was the only hardwood piece I had at the time so that is what I used. But fortunately, I most frequently use a pinch grip so with such a thin blade and the heavier tang I welded on, the balance is pretty good.

You can see with the Deba I made a much beefier handle since the spine of that deba is super think and heavy

I am very new to this. I am pretty much playing around with beat up old knives and scraps.
(I made that Serbian chef knife for my wife out on an old shovel. The scales are made from a merbau window frame and the pins are old bolts I ground the threads off of. I also added a brass accent into the handle to be a little unique)

That is a fine handle sir, well done. Nice to meet you :)

Back